Help for Black Pine backbudding

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I made photos of mine. It will stay as garden tree and is really strong growing. I left only foliage where I want backbuds to occur. Till now no success, but as garden tree I will go with what I get, so no big deal for me, but as a bonsai from Nigra it would be disappointing.
Are you sure it's a ABP ? the wood is totally different from mine.....

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are you sure it's a ABP ? the wood is totally different from mine.....
It is for sure Pinus Nigra. I do not know if it is ABP, but according Google ABP is Pinus Nigra, so it should be ABP 🤷🏻‍♂️🙂. Maybe different growth habit is due to growing in field vs growing in pot. Also there could be little differencies in cultivars. Mine should be regular Pinus Nigra.

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are needles compared with my hand. In my surroundigs are big black pines (p. nigra) with even bigger needles.

Attachments

• 29A2A3B8-3E23-442B-B382-4773D7129E05.jpeg
    29A2A3B8-3E23-442B-B382-4773D7129E05.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 66

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tomorrow we could shot detail of buds to compare. Now it is dark outside 😉

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This photo from internet show exactly how my candles look like in spring. I still think differences between mine and yours is due to growing in pot vs garden.

Attachments

• 710461C2-146F-4554-B596-AD57162B08CB.jpeg
    710461C2-146F-4554-B596-AD57162B08CB.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 62

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is how buds look like on my pine.

Attachments

• 9D6BD041-D3F6-458B-BE31-EEE717EEEF88.jpeg
    9D6BD041-D3F6-458B-BE31-EEE717EEEF88.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 50
  • D81AB031-706F-41C5-B5A1-BCC0723726BA.jpeg
    D81AB031-706F-41C5-B5A1-BCC0723726BA.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 40

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For me they look similar 😂. Anyway we just need them to back bud. So hopefully we get it 😉🙏🏻

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One day, if it back-buds, maybe I will dig it and turn into big sized bonsai. But don’t tell my wife 🙏🏻😂

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I use Fulvic acid and kelp powders @ 5/2 ratio and promotes lots of backbud.Also a tiny bit of yucca will be a surfectant and sperad the water driplets for waxy leaves……1/64th tsp pr gal…….is also a mild fungicide.
So I made shopping here, Fulvic acid and kelp extract, I am ready to start the season... I have also Osmocote and Miracle Gro.
Just a question for cmeg1, I will follow your advice and I made the mats but looks very weak to me, because all the product I bought are 7ml per liter for the fulvic acid and 4ml per liter for the kelp extract.

If my calculation are correct your values for 4 liters are :

0.6 ml fulvic or humic
0.32 ml kelp extract

That's mean that for the kelp extract is 0.08ml pro liter and for the fulvic is 0.15 pro liter
I will follow you advice but the difference looks huge, do you think can be the product itself powder and liquid are different

Last edited:

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
No nitrogen fertilizer has been debunked already. Nitrogen will not make the tree produce new growth, the actions you do on the tree are the ones that will cause it. I feed with Miraclegrow and osmocote plus till around end of November. The start again early-mid February depending on the last frost (usually for us the first week of FEB).
Hi, since the season is starting now I am trying your suggestion.
Osmocote on the pot and Miragle gro with water, plus the fulvic acid and kelp extract.
I have no idea about when ? I have in mind this plan:

Osmocote on the pot (stay for 3 4 months + Miracle gro once a week ex each sunday
Fulvic acid on the soil + Kelp extract every two weeks but in separate days ex. each Wednesday son the y don't overlap with the fertilizer

Make any sense for you ?

Thanks

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As backup plan look for videos about scion grafting. I want to try it on mine next spring, if there will be still no backbudding after this season.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi, since the season is starting now I am trying your suggestion.
Osmocote on the pot and Miragle gro with water, plus the fulvic acid and kelp extract.
I have no idea about when ? I have in mind this plan:

Osmocote on the pot (stay for 3 4 months + Miracle gro once a week ex each sunday
Fulvic acid on the soil + Kelp extract every two weeks but in separate days ex. each Wednesday son the y don't overlap with the fertilizer

Make any sense for you ?

Thanks
I would start with the Osmocote+ 3-4 months, and Miracle Gro every other week, you can adjust depending on how your trees reacts. You can do the kelp/fulvic every week as a drench on the roots. Our climates are very different, so keep that in mind as well, also, this protocol will not work once a tree enters refinement, just for trees in development that you want back-budding and rapid growth.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using cytokinin treatment, like a zeatin or 6-benzylaminopurine spray? My understanding is that it's used to induce bushy growth for large-scale annual floriculture. Temporarily inducing yatsabusa-type growth in seedlings could be useful, forcing all of the needle buds to open before resuming normal growth.

Top Bottom