Help! I'm new to bonsai and Worried!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
From what Ive gathered from previous posts on a different thread,won't he just be prey for the locals?
Nothing left but a frame and cheap bonsai dirt left laying around when they're done with him?
You're thinking of where I grew up, Mike.
But again, thanks for the laugh, I love your creative imagination.
You remind me of me.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with lots of reading. I read almost everyday about bonsai (in english and spanish), and have learned lots of principles, rules, and basic stuff. Now I need hands on experiance too! There is a lot to learn reading, and you know why you use a technique when you do. Not just do it because its a bonsai technique, but why is something done the way it is.
Btw welcome to your new addiction and the disfunctional bnut family! You may get hazed a bit, and thick skin can be good, but its a great place to learn about bonsai. And some other, maybe kinda sorta wierd strangness....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are there any types of bonsai trees that do well indoors?
If you're looking for a something to go indoors Jade is damn near indestructible and easy to look after. Dwarf Jade has small leaves and I've seen a few cool ones. Just a thought if you're not interested in the ficus or other tropicals

Jonny Robertz

Seedling
Reaction score
UPDATE!
Hey everyone, I just wanted to update you all on the current status of my little Chinese Elm. It has been outside for about 2 weeks now and it is loving the Georgia sun! All the leaves have come back lush and green and it looks stronger than ever! It went from looking like it was at death's door to almost needing a trim in just 2 weeks. Thanks so much for all the advice!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Excellent.
For you elm, just prune enough to keep the general shape for the rest of the year. Begin to think about what you will do with it over winter. When reading different posts, PAY ATTENTION TO THE LOCATION OF THE POSTER. Ignore advice from folks more than a hundred miles from your climate zone. In other words, don't trust my wintering advice, I don't know your climate will enough. You have a few months to make your plan, and it can be simple and easy. Don't opt for the most complicated scheme.

Second, if you feel hooked, and find yourself wanting to do more, you need to pick up more trees. Most need something more than 10 to 25 trees, so that they will always have something to do. The "letting it grow" can try ones patience. More trees, more "bonsai stuff" to do. More trees die from being over worked without recovery time than anything else. So buy more trees.

Indoors, you can't beat ficus. Most of the ficus species are great for indoors bonsai. Remember a pane of glass cuts 30% to 60% of incoming sunlight, best indoor bonsai are tropical trees listed as part shade or shade lovers. Read through the Tropical sub forum to get an idea of the wide range of trees available.

Third. Get to a bonsai show. The autumn show season is coming, make a day trip to a local show. Looking at exhibit quality trees is very educational. And join a local club if possible.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There aren't very many trees that are able to live in doors, not only can they not get the strength of light required, but humidity inside is all wrong. most if not all indoor bonsai are types of tropical ficus

Top Bottom