Help me find the right shape pot for this microcarpa tiger bark

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This to decide if I should chop this or leave it as informal upright.

Attachments

• 941CA0B3-0842-4C59-A847-7FE949BF0A47.jpeg
    941CA0B3-0842-4C59-A847-7FE949BF0A47.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 36
  • EA907236-38ED-45AC-A5EE-674844C5B956.jpeg
    EA907236-38ED-45AC-A5EE-674844C5B956.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 21
  • F3D97ED8-41FA-42F6-B620-63E72F3AADEF.jpeg
    F3D97ED8-41FA-42F6-B620-63E72F3AADEF.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 26BD80C2-88DB-4787-8C00-C3644BAF916F.jpeg
    26BD80C2-88DB-4787-8C00-C3644BAF916F.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 3AE669CB-ADB2-4C62-B021-97BBA003AAFC.jpeg
    3AE669CB-ADB2-4C62-B021-97BBA003AAFC.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 9A9BDA53-97A8-49C0-B055-48EA99B56200.jpeg
    9A9BDA53-97A8-49C0-B055-48EA99B56200.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 18
  • A74C2CF3-8A4E-4BD2-B887-3D0874F55C1E.jpeg
    A74C2CF3-8A4E-4BD2-B887-3D0874F55C1E.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This to decide if I should chop this or leave it as informal upright.

I'd say chop it low, unless you want to fatten the base further. The top section of trunk doesn't give you much to work with in my opinion. You could air layer the top or root it as a cutting. Then I think that in time the rooted top would develop flare at the base, and you would have two trees. But really it all depends on what you want out of the tree.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd say chop it low, unless you want to fatten the base further. The top section of trunk doesn't give you much to work with in my opinion. You could air layer the top or root it as a cutting. Then I think that in time the rooted top would develop flare at the base, and you would have two trees. But really it all depends on what you want out of the tree.
I’m thinking to do a root over rock, should I chop it at the same time?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m thinking to do a root over rock, should I chop it at the same time?

Well, let me preface my answer with the fact that I have always chickened out on root over rock, and have yet to do one. Though I am thinking this will be my year for it. So with that said, if I remember correctly, with root over rock you treat the rock as trunk when figuring your ratios. Also, in my opinion ROR works best with dramatic trunk movement. All that means that you probably would need to chop pretty low if going with ROR, and regrow the trunk to match the image you are trying to create.

Should you chop it at the same time as planting on the rock? There are probably different theories on that. Some people will say that you want at least some foliage up top to help grow roots until the tree is established on the rock, in which case you do not want to prune it back very much. But others might say that f. microcarpa are tough as nails and there is no reason not to chop it at the same time.

But either way, you have some prefatory work to get that tree ready for a ROR planting. You need good and long roots. Bulb pans like yours is in do not grow many long roots, except for the ones circling the pot which will be woody and not very useful for what you are trying to do. What you want is a tall, narrow pot or even a section of drain pipe set in a pot or with a screen at the bottom, which will enable you to grow some nice, long roots for eventually planting on the rock.

I hope that helps.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It’s hard to get the rock and stump size in proportion with each other. I’ve started all of mine with a small cutting planted with a rock buried in the pot and left for a year or two. Some have worked out, some haven’t. It seems to me it would be difficult to start with a stump that large already.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I personally feel established roots plopped on a rock never seem legit. They always fall short somehow. Never fully grasping the rock as it should.

That said...ficus you can grow roots from a cutting. And regrow roots all together and later when roots pliable do it. But finding the right material early on is best. When it's forced...it always has a look of being forces.

Other than taper...the tree doesn't wow me. Chopped low into a sumo would be my direction. Take that with a grain of salt. I absolutely love sumo.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You mean like the Epcot show trees earlier in this thread? ;)
No, not at all.

I can't stand a tree that has roots that doesn't grab the rock. That is my own personal taste. I can't imagine repotting and having to deal with roots which do not cling. Just looks like...poor nebari attempt at smoke and mirrors that falls flat.

I also don't like a lot of roots on a rock. Which will eventually swallow the rock. It makes no sense to me. Which is why I will never bury my own ROR and encourage more roots than it already has. I absolutely dislike the tree impailed by rock look. That also...is my own hiccup.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can't stand a tree that has roots that doesn't grab the rock.

No one should. It reflects rookie mistakes that I hope never to make myself. Maybe if the style was called Root On Rock fewer people would get confused. Because I have seen a lot of terrible Root Over Rock! :p

I absolutely dislike the tree impailed by rock look.

I agree with you, but I guess this is more subjective than my comment above. One is doing it wrong. The other is doing it...different. But then ficus are known for swallowing anything they sprout on top of, so maybe those Epcot trees are species-accurate. But my (subjective) impression is "Oh that tree is cool...dear god what is that thing sticking out of the trunk!"

I am sure @ceriano will figure out their path with this tree. As a tall tree, yeah it might not be inspiring right now but with the right branches and design choices I am guessing it could be pretty good. As a sumo well, it is kind of hard to go wrong there. I have a tiger bark on its way right now that will probably get that treatment!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No one should. It reflects rookie mistakes that I hope never to make myself. Maybe if the style was called Root On Rock fewer people would get confused. Because I have seen a lot of terrible Root Over Rock! :p

I agree with you, but I guess this is more subjective than my comment above. One is doing it wrong. The other is doing it...different. But then ficus are known for swallowing anything they sprout on top of, so maybe those Epcot trees are species-accurate. But my (subjective) impression is "Oh that tree is cool...dear god what is that thing sticking out of the trunk!"

I am sure @ceriano will figure out their path with this tree. As a tall tree, yeah it might not be inspiring right now but with the right branches and design choices I am guessing it could be pretty good. As a sumo well, it is kind of hard to go wrong there. I have a tiger bark on its way right now that will probably get that treatment!
The Epcot tree is owned by Ben. I'm sure the pedigree to the tree is impressive. I also imagine that standing in front of that large tree the impression you feel may not be the same as one sees in a 2D image. That tree...I think being a ficus...one can appreciate. It's the painfully speared trident that gives me shivers. LOL

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

This is the style I initially had in mind

Attachments

• 9E35EA02-1798-4EE5-AB1D-1FB5E2A9A23F.jpeg
    9E35EA02-1798-4EE5-AB1D-1FB5E2A9A23F.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 8

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is the style I initially had in mind

I'm a sucker for a slant tree. Go that way then. If it doesn't pan out you can always change its direction later. Honestly follow your gut/vision at the end of the day. Or you can lose your joy with a particular tree when you don't.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm a sucker for a slant tree. Go that way then. If it doesn't pan out you can always change its direction later. Honestly follow your gut/vision at the end of the day. Or you can lose your joy with a particular tree when you don't.
Slant in a round pot, something like this

Attachments

• EB92800C-F503-4720-99C4-FD02BC7069CF.jpeg
    EB92800C-F503-4720-99C4-FD02BC7069CF.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 10

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whats the best shape pot for slanting style? round right?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Whats the best shape pot for slanting style? round right?
Not necessarily... I could see an oval with a slant tree planted off center of pot with a lot of negative space below the slant with the span of some pot. Depends on canopy and the story you wish to tell.

Top Bottom