Hey bnut......

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Is it possible for you to set up the bar requiring a seperate password to enter, so those with no willpower to stay out so they won't be insulted, knowing I will be there expressing my opinion on world affairs. It seems to me that people with differing opinions than mine are outraged that I would be posting such out and out racism ( their opinion) and rudeness (their opinion). I don't want to ruin the best bonsai forum on the net with my outbursts. If not I can fade away and make this another squeaky clean dull board the others are in the off season, no problem.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't cave Harry, if they are going to look after being warned, or knowing the reputation of what is there, then let them be shocked, or eat cake or whatever it is. The liberal person/s think that if they din't like it/say it then no one should - let them learn the hard way. They have nooooo problem helping to make sure that you know that everyone else in the world has rights, as it's thier first amendment right to do, draw your line in the sand and tell em SCREW YOU! Because it's your right as much as it is thiers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gotta say--I find the increasing bleed-over from the Bar to be irritating and disruptive. I can't believe some of the venom that's getting spewed at people who make offhand remarks on the main board.

Posting here is a lot like living next to a late night bar. Drunks on the sidewalk sometimes talk incoherent smack to passersby. I can hold my own, don't really care about drunken fools, as I can be one myself now and then. I do have a problem with knee jerk borderline abuse of newbies on the main board though. We all certainly understand where the drunks are coming from. I respect their right to vent. I wish they would respect other's rights not to be vented on when not in the bar. And, yeah, no one has to go into the damn bar if they don't want to get offended.

Also, for what it's worth, EVERY forum has its share of idiots, loud mouths, posers and assorted characters. IBC, for instance, has more than a few blow hards, as do other sites that have anything worthwhile to say about bonsai beyond "how should I trim my banzai?".

Bonsai draws a particular kind of personality, mostly independent thinking, strong willed, passionate people. It comes with the territory. Look other places all you want. This attitude will come up in one form or another...

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Don't cave Harry, if they are going to look after being warned, or knowing the reputation of what is there, then let them be shocked, or eat cake or whatever it is. The liberal person/s think that if they din't like it/say it then no one should - let them learn the hard way. They have nooooo problem helping to make sure that you know that everyone else in the world has rights, as it's thier first amendment right to do, draw your line in the sand and tell em SCREW YOU! Because it's your right as much as it is thiers.

Harry, you got yourself a little cheerleader. He reminds me of the little terrier that used to run around with the bulldog on Bugs Bunny. "Get him, Spike. Get him!"

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have anything inteligent or usefull to say misfit, or just the same crap you usually spew.
Sorry rock, I thought this came from the bar, and was asking Harry to reconsider, his request, I didn't think what I said invited any rebuttal, especially from the idiot that did(just in case you misread this, the previous comment was aimed at misfit not you). I simply wanted to remind Harry that he has rights too, since most that oppose Harrys rights typically tell him anyway that he shouldn't.

I can understand your being peeved or whatever it is that irratated you about this post due to the volitility of the subject matter in the bar lately, but this thread didn't need your response, it would have made more sense in a thread in the bar, but at least not until after the above post by misfit.

Okay Harry I'll probably be banned now for the personal attack, but at least they know where we stand.

By the way contrary to liberal beliefs you really can stay out of the kareoke bar if you don't want to read posts such as these. If you do make it there and the title of the post is something disagreeable to you most likely the rest of the thread is too, why would you go get more???? If you do step in don't cry about the content and pretend you are better.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Harry, you got yourself a little cheerleader. He reminds me of the little terrier that used to run around with the bulldog on Bugs Bunny. "Get him, Spike. Get him!"

I retract this post. I really shouldn't allow myself to be brought to this level. Rise above.

Peace

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I can understand your being peeved or whatever it is that irratated you about this post due to the volitility of the subject matter in the bar lately, but this thread didn't need your response, it would have made more sense in a thread in the bar, but at least not until after the above post by misfit."

Bill, I wasn't talking about you specifically. There are other pointless, rather beligerent responses in other outside-the-bar posts that frankly are turning me off this site.

P.S. anyone else notice the list of "new posts" on REAL bonsai subjects is minimal these days? Wonder why?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
There are other pointless, rather beligerent responses in other outside-the-bar posts that frankly are turning me off this site.

P.S. anyone else notice the list of "new posts" on REAL bonsai subjects is minimal these days? Wonder why?

Couldn't agree more.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I never bring my tirades outside the bar, unless I'm lured out.

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score

I don't know about the bonsai activity in your area, but I'm still watering and misting. The temps are still in the 90's, not much to talk about.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Have anything inteligent or usefull to say misfit, or just the same crap you usually spew.
Sorry rock, I thought this came from the bar, and was asking Harry to reconsider, his request, I didn't think what I said invited any rebuttal, especially from the idiot that did(just in case you misread this, the previous comment was aimed at misfit not you). I simply wanted to remind Harry that he has rights too, since most that oppose Harrys rights typically tell him anyway that he shouldn't.

I can understand your being peeved or whatever it is that irratated you about this post due to the volitility of the subject matter in the bar lately, but this thread didn't need your response, it would have made more sense in a thread in the bar, but at least not until after the above post by misfit.

Okay Harry I'll probably be banned now for the personal attack, but at least they know where we stand.

By the way contrary to liberal beliefs you really can stay out of the kareoke bar if you don't want to read posts such as these. If you do make it there and the title of the post is something disagreeable to you most likely the rest of the thread is too, why would you go get more???? If you do step in don't cry about the content and pretend you are better.

Don't worry about it Bill, I'll see ya back in the bar, it may end up with just you and me.

keep it green,
Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No way Harry, they will keep trying, although this statement is running around in my head more and more. - "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience".

Wish we could just let em have thier way for just a week, then magically turn things back, they'd be throwing money at us.

As to your retraction Thanks, if for no other reason, Harry can take care of his own, also if you remember the little guy at the end of that Looney Tune - Let me at em Spike! had no fear.

I get you rock, just wanted to make sure you didn't take it the wrong way. Also not really disagreeing with you, regarding average content lately. On the other hand though the real crap tends to stay in the bar(mostly), and the overall bonsai content has been pretty good and fairly steady, but not busy.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"

I can tell you why, because most everyone knows all there is about bonsai. There is nothing else to learn. I posted an update in the collection area of what I feel is a nice Ca. juniper coming along quite well. There were 1629 views yesterday when I posted and 1881 today. Thats 252 views since yesterday, more than many threads get in a lifetime, but no replies.

There is no interaction anymore. The web as a bonsai tool, for better or worse has pretty much run its course. You get home from work, or lurk all day, look at a few pictures (if there are any) and read some entertainment in the Karaoki bar, then move back to what you were doing 6.3 minutes before.

Thats it. The people that provided the content....they are long gone.

edit: or just don't give a crap.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I can tell you why, because most everyone knows all there is about bonsai. There is nothing else to learn. I posted an update in the collection area of what I feel is a nice Ca. juniper coming along quite well. There were 1629 views yesterday when I posted and 1881 today. Thats 252 views since yesterday, more than many threads get in a lifetime, but no replies.

There is no interaction anymore. The web as a bonsai tool, for better or worse has pretty much run its course. You get home from work, or lurk all day, look at a few pictures (if there are any) and read some entertainment in the Karaoki bar, then move back to what you were doing 6.3 minutes before.

Thats it. The people that provided the content....they are long gone.

edit: or just don't give a crap.

I agree, most of the folks that are upset about the bar content, never post any pictures of trees. I for one am glad we have new people starting out in the hobby and they should have access to some of the better posts like you have submitted, but it is boring to write the same thing over and over again. Constructive threads should be archived with access to newbies. There was a ton of good info lost on bonsai talk that could have been very helpful to folks just starting out in the hobby.

keep it green,
Harry

keep it green,
Harry

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, I like the Bar, and it reminds me of a REAL bar... a lot of pontificating, posturing, and otherwise mouthing-off... but that is what it is there for. I'm not going to make a separate password for it, but you kinda have to go out of your way to find it, so I find myself not even going there for a week (or more) at a time.

BTW - I am moving this thread from General Discussion to Suggestions...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Well, I like the Bar, and it reminds me of a REAL bar... a lot of pontificating, posturing, and otherwise mouthing-off... but that is what it is there for. I'm not going to make a separate password for it, but you kinda have to go out of your way to find it, so I find myself not even going there for a week (or more) at a time.

BTW - I am moving this thread from General Discussion to Suggestions...

You da man, and this will always be a sucessful site. Those that say they are going elsewhere will be back.

keep it green,
Harry

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I do agree that people mostly just surf around looking at pictures and reading the latest gossip, but I for one have learned quite a bit from the more informative posts, and have attempted to provide a few myself. I will often read something here about a technique, and on my Friday apprenticeship will ask my teacher for his opinion or variation on it, providing insight on a subject I would have previously not thought to ask about.
As for posting, personally I like to stay out of the Bar-type topics since that is not what this site is really about for me. There are others who make the "gossip" their number one priority, and others like Harry and Al who are strongly opinionated but offer some very good information and have some spectacular trees.
I suppose what I'm trying to get at in my own roundabout way of reiteration, is we should all try to be more active in discussion and not be afraid to post our own trees. We can all learn a lot together, since we are FAR from knowing everything about bonsai, we just have to try a little harder.

For some reason the last posts have inspired me. I don't really know why... *Perplexed smiley face*

Top Bottom