Hibiscus Syriacus (Common Hibiscus) #1

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any of you have trimmed and seen wounds close?
My understanding is that wounds close very, very slowly, and my limited experience supports this. I pruned mine back without cut paste this spring, and most of the wounds look like crap. However, I have observed some swelling of the inner bark around some of the cut sites 6 months later - we're talking like a millimeter of rolling cut healing, but I'll take it. In the future, I intend to see just how much cut paste might help.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice to see other people trying this species!
In one of the pics on previous page some leafes show deficiency, mine does that every year when it starts producing flower buds it will dissapear in a couple of days after feeding magnesium or epson salt.

The big wounds do close slowely given there is growth above the wounds @leatherback i am sure i already showed you pictures of that somewere 🤔

Also another 2 cents is keep on removing growth in the crotches if you dont it will result in a ugly knob at the branch base.

Eddit:
Heres a picture of the callus rolling in after a season of growth
It only started healing after i grinded the stump i left into this propper wound.

Screenshot_20200501-134615_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good. Hope mine will do this too. When (time of year) did you make the cut / carving?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My past experience is that healing will be faster if you scribe a clean edge to the bark, and then carve the wound space to be slightly lower than the wood outside the wound boundary. Still damn slow, though. This is also one that responds well to the gray Japanese cut paste in the tube, and not putty.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Going full umbrella on this guy. Repot needed in spring.

IMG_20221113_010431.jpg

@Bonsai Nut, can you adjust thread title to "Hibiscus Syriacus (Common Hibiscus) #26"? Just trying to keep my threads here in line with my own database. Thanks!.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
idk. lol. My records tell me it LOST trunk thickness this year. From .61" to .55".

20231118_001421.jpg

Top Bottom