Horse Chestnut

Sandcounty

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I collected a Horse Chestnut stump today. This tree was chopped last year and budded back pretty heavily this spring. It has about a 3" diameter trunk. I had to cut two large taproots, but there are several feeders. It's in a 10' wide, 10" deep pot, in a very free-draining mix. I've read conflicting accounts of whether or not to put it in the shade or just let it do it's thing. Does anybody have any ideas on how to increase it's chances of survival?

Sand

If it doesn't make it that's OK, as it was to be dug up and discarded if I didn't want it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm a shade believer - as long as you make sure you don't overwater and drown the tree. Of course, I live in Southern California and even the winter sun can get very intense. Perhaps things are not as critical if you live in the north or areas where there is often broken cloud cover. Of the trees that I have replanted and let "rest" in the shade for several weeks, I have never lost a single one. This includes collected California junipers that are used to direct desert sunlight and come with very limited rootballs.

Sandcounty

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This tree may never be suitable for bonsai, but I figured why not. If it survives I'll put it back in the ground for a number of years.

Sand

Attachments

• 2007_0424miscphoto0050.JPG
    2007_0424miscphoto0050.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 69

bonsainotwar

Sapling
Reaction score
The big problem here,is the size of the leaves.It might be good for a larger size.I have the same problem with a Texas Buckeye I bought,because of the 6" base,fat nebari,taper,and naturally serpentine shape.

I bought it dormant,and never realized the leaves were that big !I'm going to try and keep it at 35".

Sandcounty

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Yep, the leaves are really big, but I've read that they can be reduced somewhat. Looking at this tree yesterday I thought it was doing fine, but then we had a cold night (36 F) last night. We'll see.

Sand

Sandcounty

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
It's been in a pot for nine days now. Up until a few days ago the foliage looked very wilted. In the last few days it has shot up about 4 or 5 inches, and the leaves have grown larger. Is this a sign that it's started new root growth, or is it just using it's energy stores?

Sand

Top Bottom