How long can a bonsai seed be kept to be viable ?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just wanting to know as I got a few collected bonsai seeds .
How long can a bonsai seed be kept to be viable ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you know what tree they are from? There aren't technically any "bonsai seeds". They would just be seeds from trees or plants that you'll be applying bonsai techniques to once it's grown a bit. I suppose the viability depends on the species and how they're stored, but someone else more knowledgable about that might chime in.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a variety of seeds in dry storage there must be some time before the germination period has ended .

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If possible store in a refrigerator at 5°C (41°F) until required. Most seed will remain viable in this way for many years
Seed viability depends on the condition of the seed when you first stored it , how long it is stored and what seed is being kept.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ok I’ll transfer all seeds to the fridge . Is that the same for seeds that come in packets from a store and are sealed in a foil bag ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Seeds of different species remain viable for different periods so there's no rule that fits all bonsai species.

Oaks have very short viability. If they don't germinate the first year or are dried they generally won't grow.
Many tropicals are also short lived. I believe ficus seeds only last a year or so after harvest.
Maples seed enters deep dormancy after dry storage for a few months. It is technically still viable but becomes more difficult to get them to germinate.
I've had JBP seed in storage for 5 years and still had good germination.
Hard coated seeds like acacia have been viable after 50 years in storage.

You will need to search for viability of each individual species to determine how long each type will last.
Always remember that fresh is best so if possible collect fresh seed each time you need to grow some plants.

Cool, dry storage generally extends the viability period for most seeds.
Freezing extends it even further. There are a number of cryogeninc seed storages in various parts of the world now storing seed of crops and other plants in case of catastrophic events or for future plant breeding projects.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had some BRT seeds take two years to get to me. The germination rate wasn't great but I did have some success. Hopefully you will as well with the ones I sent you and they won't take years to get to you!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry forgive my english I meant seed used for growing bonsai trees
The same problem is in this re-statement--there are no specific seeds used to grow bonsai. Just seeds that grow "regular" trees. Bonsai is a way of cultivating a tree, not a specific kind of tree species.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The same problem is in this re-statement--there are no specific seeds used to grow bonsai. Just seeds that grow "regular" trees. Bonsai is a way of cultivating a tree, not a specific kind of tree species.
Thanks for correcting me . That's the problem when you speak two languages and know a third language ( partially )

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for correcting me . That's the problem when you speak two languages and know a third language ( partially )
Sorry. Didn't mean to come off as correcting. It's just a common persistent myth that bonsai are special plants grown from special seeds.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sounds very interesting! Which species do you have e experience with in the freezer for 10 years?
Mostly herbaceous plants, because I haven't been doing bonsai for 10 years. But my scots and japanese red pine seem to last at least 3 years without any drops in germination.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
My BRT seed from @Clicio spent two years in the mail and were still viable.
Some specimens require immediate sowing or they go sterile.
Some are viable for years.
BRTs we already know can sprout after two years, maybe more.
@Anthony has send me some Tamarind seeds from the Caribbean, and they took six months to get here. I have waited for the Spring - another 4 months - sowed them, and they have sprouted OK.

Top Bottom