How long from Branch CUTTINGS to see growth?

Earthguy00

Seedling
Reaction score
What's up fellow Bonsair's.

I came across a Tiger Bark Ficus in the woods a week ago
and am trying out my luck to see if I can successfully grow it
from a branch cut off.

Any ideas on how long it will take for me to see any
signs of growth?

I cut off many leaves and other thin branches and shoots.

Was my actions a blunder?
Or should I have waited and left all that at first to
let the branch focus on the rooting?

I added some root fertilizer and have it under intense
lighting 12 hours.

ANY addt'l advice, comments, links or rants are welcomed.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 20190604_062054.jpg
    20190604_062054.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190604_062104.jpg
    20190604_062104.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 45

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Where do you live to be able to find tiger bark ficus in the woods? I think this is far more likely to be some sort of prunus, maybe a cherry? but could be any number of species depending what is native or feral in your area.
Are there any roots at all or is it just a piece of a branch?
Many trees will grow from cuttings like this so maybe this one will too. I would keep it in high humidity - maybe in a plastic bag or in a plastic box so it can get light but does not have dry air around.
New shoot should start in 2-4 weeks if you are in summer (no indication of location in your profile so I don't know if you are north or south hemisphere)
Winter cuttings are sometimes easier for beginners with no special equipment to grow cuttings.

Earthguy00

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello Shibui,

You may be possibly right as I was bonsai hunting for 4 hours and ONLY saw this 1 tree that
may have been a Ficus species. Not really worried if it is or not, just like
the bark color/pattern and would like to see it branch out.

IT IS from a cutting hence the speculation on the survival rate.
If I do the plastic bag method. Should I leave some small holes for it to breathe?
and for how long should I do this?
thx.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Earthguy00

Welcome to BNut, you are relatively new here. The reason we ask questions like ''approximately where do you live" is so we can tailor our answers to your specific climate. You did not answer that question, our membership is world wide. The only continent not represented in our membership is Antarctica, this includes New Zealand which was recently discovered to be a legitimate continent in its own right, it is on a different tectonic plate than Australia.

Be that here or there. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but it actually takes as long as it takes. If you had 1000 cuttings of tiger bark ficus, and put them in groups of 10 in different temperatures, humidities, light intensities, and other various environmental conditions, and you took different diameter cuttings. Your results would be a wide range of times to the formation of roots.

The warmer the temperatures, the faster they root. More light more humidity, the faster they root. The larger the diameter, the slower they root.

So, that is the answer: it can be as little as a few days, it can be as long as 36 months, all depending on size, temperature, humidity, and light.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Still no indication of whether you are in tropical, desert, temperate or cold area so it is really difficult to give good advice for your circumstance. We don't need your actual address, just a country would help, city even better to understand your climate. There is a spot in the 'personal profile' to add that info so everyone can see.
Generally, cuttings have no roots so they cannot take up much water. The stem continues to lose water to the air so the cutting will slowly dehydrate and die. Maintaining high humidity will slow water loss and give the cutting a better chance to grow some roots. Specific techniques will vary depending on the local climate and conditions.
Plastic bag technique does not need holes. The aim is to keep the plant enclosed in very high humidity air. Plants do not breathe as we do and (most types) will be quite happy in a closed container, often for months depending on the species. Cuttings are generally kept this way until new shoots are growing well which usually indicates new roots are growing.

Earthguy00

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Leo,

Many thanks for your insight.
Good to know.
thx

Top Bottom