How many trees have you lost/ thrown out/given up on?

Pelicano919

Seedling
Reaction score
Most of my failures or non survival attempts are species that are difficult to be of any success in my zone of 9a white pine, mungo pine, Japanese maples, Sharpes pigmy spleen. Through experience and research knowledge am now selective in my target trees.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You're all amateurs!!! I started this thread https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/some-of-the-nicer-trees-ive-lost.28682/ 5 years ago. Unfortunately, the move to MI took another bite out of the collection and I have more than a few additions to that thread... and we won't even mention the scores of cuttings/seedlings/projects that never made the cut or just didn't have the will to make it.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lost a lot of trees this year, some costed over a grand...I think it's because of the harsh winter and I was winter protecting them like the previous year which was milder. I will do better this year...Lesson learned.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've killed my fair share for sure, especially my first couple of years. My kill rate has slowed considerably, learning from my mistakes and being more selective in my purchases.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've killed the vast majority of trees I've tried to collect, mostly through noob zeal. I've learned the hard way that piñons don't like to move, regardless of the situation, and will go straight kamikaze if you even think about cutting a root. They're my favorite tree, but I'm quitting actually hunting them I think. Only if I find just the right circumstances.

So I'm at about 1.5 dozen losses since my first real jump in the deep end in June of 2019, but I have about twice that many now, all in early development.
My horticultural knowledge has grown at least 10 fold since then. I've apparently got a nack for tropicals, and producing humidity in a dry climate, because I haven't lost anything that CAN'T withstand our winters here, just natives and yard trees I've tried to collect.

I don't count cuttings or seedlings. To me that's like counting eating breakfast as losing chickens.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hundreds and hundreds.

Easily 20-30 on average per year either die of (un)natural causes or they don't meet my standards and go in the green recycle wheelie bin.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over 53 years lost about 40-60 trees. A few of them were frozen. Have never kept more than 45 at one time. Never given up on one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Less than .......

Ah, nevermind, it's definitely WAY to early for that one!😉

Let's just say when I fish in the river I'm careful not to disturb the fish eggs cuz even THAT life is important!

Ah, speaking of life that is important, did you see about the dude who made a machine that makes water?

Tie-In, @power270lb , I heard from a nice gas station attendant in Lansing that Portage is nice. Little meth in Lansing it seems, but I met this feller there..

We were picking up a bumper for a Pontiac from him.....go figure. Nice dude, I kinda dig Lansing.

The weed shops are kinda annoying, I told my guy they should all get together and rent one billboard to put at the one exit without a weed shop, probably save a lotta money.🤣

Oh and....Ann Arbor, UofM land....hiyaa....we were painting the decks on these "multi family" buildings, let's just say I really appreciate building codes in Illinois. They shoulda torn the decks down not painted em! Bunch of strapping at the end of the joists connecting nothing, twisted 4x4 legs with no other support or framing..
I literally thought it quite bogus to make the decks more inviting, cuz if people actually use them, someone going die.

So maybe do your own inspection!

I feel safer in Indiana, even Gary. Pew pew!

I reckon that water machine is in Texas. Yee haw!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure it matter much how many. I have seen a fair share die. Maybe 15-25 or so? Established trees, so that is not counting cuttings that did not strike or young seedlings that saw the roots abused in the wrong time or layers malfiring. Another 15 or so post-dig: Never made the transplant. As I only dig plants that are on the removal list anyway, I feel they only marginally count.

Currently at 212 pots (individually movable units, including cutting and seedling trays). Lost 1 tree in 2022 to date. Still do not know why, and that is really killing me.

If I didn’t have to ship, I’d easily sell 1/3 of my trees today and buy others.

Yeah, my aim is to get rid of 75 trees over the next 12 months. I just do not like the whole shipping thing so looking for better solutions. Maybe contact a trader but that will be a big financial hit (The nursery where I take classes takes 30% of sale price for their service)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In almost 4 years of bonsai practice, I have lost 60 in pot bonsai and about 200 field grown BCs and Chinese elms to hurricanes . I also lost about a dozen to my lack of knowledge and another dozen to my being stubborn and attempted things that I was told to be hard to do. That last dozen taught me humility and patience. I will never follow rules like sheep but I will research and reason things out before attempting things that are unconventional. My whole life is about pushing boundary, this experience taught me that for bonsai I need to apply the same scientific research practice I have have always used.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lost a few JBPs and Trident Maples that I really care about... Lost is part of the hobby no one can escape.... even Kimura. Some just die without any obvious reason.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I lose to pushing too hard, or soil issues in spring/summer. Hoping to correct all this year, but still lose one a week.

Top Bottom