META: Posting etiquette on BNut for many different trees?

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi folks, long time lurker, recently posted for the first time. I've been reading a lot of really useful threads over the last 9-12 months, and have come across a number that were started a few years back and are updated seasonally with progress/changes. I like this format and what it offers.

However, out of my ~25 trees (4 nursery, rest collected), I feel like I have maybe 10-12 that I have significant questions on. The rest I know *enough* of what I'm doing or am just experimenting. But with those 10-12, they're either really interesting/unique material or present perplexing approaches/strategic choices that are over my head.

So I guess my question is: is it bad form to risk "spamming" the forums by starting to catalogue the progress of these trees each in a separate thread? Is it better to catalogue the posts by species, origin, question type, etc so they end up in different sub-forums? I'd like to be a helpful and engaged contributor, but don't want to be a dick in the process. Would love to hear thoughts/opinions :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

The primary reason to separate out trees by genus is that similar trees tend to have similar issues and care requirements. If you want to start 10 new threads talking about 10 different trees, all the more power to you! Some members might have knowledge about one species, but be ignorant about another. Much better to start several threads than to try to have a discussion about 10 different trees on a single thread.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes, definitely a new thread for each tree, in the correct subcategory is a good way to go. It is cool to roll back through those long progression threads that end up spanning years.

One thought I’ve had on general forum etiquette is that it would be nice if contributing members attached their photos as thumbnails, reserving the full images for the OP member. Obviously, community threads like the Tree Thread are exceptions.

Top Bottom