How often do you Daconil????

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Awesome, but when do I spray it? I want to prevent damp off on my JBP Do I spray it into the seed hole? Or just spray the soil on top? Or do I just spray the actual seedling?

I actually soaked my medium before sowing, let it sit covered for 24 hours so it would not be too strong then misted a few times a week with about 1:20. I never saw one fuzzball of fungus. No damping at all.

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just wondering what others are doing to get rid of fungal disease.
What do you use, and how often do you spray?

FWIW, I Daconil about 1/week (for most deciduous) from about March to September. Well, on a 3:1 rotation with that and Bayer 3in1. Here in Alabama, the heat and humidity make it almost a necessity (even on many of my large JMs that are in the ground, unfortunately). I've tried peroxide, but haven't had much luck with it. May just be my area...not sure.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I actually soaked my medium before sowing, let it sit covered for 24 hours so it would not be too strong then misted a few times a week with about 1:20. I never saw one fuzzball of fungus. No damping at all.

Sweet, man.. thanks for the info.

What do you mean covered? Throw some saran wrap over it? Or maybe a bucket with a lid? Something like that?

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
You could put the seed IN it and it will be fine. It's just water with 3% oxygen (liquid air!).

Open your mouth. Gargle. See the foam? That's bacteria it is killing. Mouth dont hurt. Sweet! You're safe. (PS helps with cavities and pre-root canals!). So is the seed safe if soaked in peroxide? Now, spill some of it on your thigh. No bubbles? No foam? WTF? No bacteria to kill. Just drains off like water. New seedlings like oxygen and water, so that's kinda scientifically logical. :) Yay, happy seed. Cheers.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is fascinating but like so many other things, wildly different stories. One guy uses straight peroxide, another says it is an herbicide. Who to believe? Interestingly I looked it up and we use ZeroTol at my nursery, too.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This is fascinating but like so many other things, wildly different stories. One guy uses straight peroxide, another says it is an herbicide. Who to believe? Interestingly I looked it up and we use ZeroTol at my nursery, too.

One sure way is to try it and see what happens!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could put the seed IN it and it will be fine. It's just water with 3% oxygen (liquid air!).

Open your mouth. Gargle. See the foam? That's bacteria it is killing. Mouth dont hurt. Sweet! You're safe. (PS helps with cavities and pre-root canals!). So is the seed safe if soaked in peroxide? Now, spill some of it on your thigh. No bubbles? No foam? WTF? No bacteria to kill. Just drains off like water. New seedlings like oxygen and water, so that's kinda scientifically logical. :) Yay, happy seed. Cheers.
Not exactly, HO is an oxidizer. It oxidizes organic material, not just bacteria. Your skin is relatively impermeable, while the mucus membrane of your mouth is relatively permeable. Thats why it fizes more in your mouth. I guarantee your thigh is covered in as much or more bacteria than your mouth.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b

I always soak my seeds in peroxide a majority of the time but it didn't stop the damp off after it sprouted. My seedlings were dying after about a week.

34907732_10155893072879531_6487150786068348928_n.jpg'

Half of them died and half survived. There was about 25 in that pot.

35065575_10155893072989531_8618163500776161280_n.jpg

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I rotate daconil and mancozeb around every two weeks on my maples and crabs. They are notorious in my neighborhood for getting powdery mildew and leaf wilt.

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
I put 2 tablespoons 3% hydrogen peroxide in a quart of water, which is about 900 ppm. It is effective as dilute as 300 ppm, so I'm confident solutions should be effective even if I've had an opened bottle of peroxide sitting around for several months.
How often do you spray with your solution?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How often do you spray with your solution?
Overall, it amounts to when I feel like it or think I need to. Peroxide only nixes spores that are present at the time it is sprayed. Afterward, it is just water. So every thing could be spayed everyday all season long.

My 'best known' fungal issues have arisen in dabbling with rooting cuttings. I put them in standard plastic '1 gallon' nursery pots and cover it with a 1 gallon storage bag. I found that leaves tended to get consumed by some kind of fungus if I didn't pop the bags off and spray about every 3 days, so that has become my mantra for 'how often'.

I've been fortunate to have few fungal problems, so it has been relatively easy for me to catch on to when fungal issues tend to arise and what ones tend to show up in my collection/garden. For instance, I have crab apples, pears, and junipers. When ever I see leaf spots that might be rust, I remove the affected leaves (they are just spore sources for more infections) and spray all of these species in my collection every 3 days (or so) for at least 2 weeks and then quit when I no longer find any possible rust spots. I make a point of looking over each of my trees prior to possibly watering - just saying 'hi, how are you doing?' If it isn't bugs and seem suspicious I execute the standard routing (pluck leaves and spray), yadda, yadda, yadda.

I have a couple of plants that have a strong tendency for the leaves to brown when water is left to stand on them. A peroxide spray after watering (or after rain) seems to nix this trouble, so I spay anytime the foliage gets wet. Some azalea and camellia blossoms discolor in similar circumstances - I similarly spray those blossoms just so I can enjoy them longer (or so I think as I've not been doing it for enough years yet to be sure that it is a real and not imagined effect).

Top Bottom