How's the quality of tools made by American Bonsai?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
According to the gentleman who owns a bonsai nursery near me, he doesn't like them. He stated, " they wear out quickly and are not built good".
I trust his opinion, especially since he carries this particular product and didnt try to sell them to me.
I disagree. I like them very much. In response to curious layman, I too had problems with a tool. I sent some picture to demonstrate the problem. I called them on the phone and they told me how to fix the problem and I did and it did. Try doing that with Masakuni, Kiku or any other tool maker you might want to use. I have been growing bonsai since 1957 and these tools work fine for me. If you grow bonsai on the level and volume with Ryan Neil I don't think you will find a better tool for the money. Just remember; really good, fancy and expensive tools wont make good bonsai if you do not have the imagination to do that. Really fancy, and expensive tools will only cost a lot more.

CuriousLayman

Sapling
Reaction score
In response to curious layman, I too had problems with a tool. I sent some picture to demonstrate the problem. I called them on the phone and they told me how to fix the problem and I did and it did.

I'll call them. It's possible they stopped receiving my emails for some reason (spam filter change, etc).

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I disagree. I like them very much. In response to curious layman, I too had problems with a tool. I sent some picture to demonstrate the problem. I called them on the phone and they told me how to fix the problem and I did and it did. Try doing that with Masakuni, Kiku or any other tool maker you might want to use. I have been growing bonsai since 1957 and these tools work fine for me. If you grow bonsai on the level and volume with Ryan Neil I don't think you will find a better tool for the money. Just remember; really good, fancy and expensive tools wont make good bonsai if you do not have the imagination to do that. Really fancy, and expensive tools will only cost a lot more.

Thing is, with Masakuni you may never ever have a problem in the first place:) The only problems I have ever been able to find with Masakuni tools from customer review was the occasional mentioning of an edge chipping. Now taking into account my experience as a tradesman in MANY different areas I'm thinking that chipping an edge has more to do with improper use of a given tool! I can take a $100 flat tip screwdriver made by SnapOn or Mac Tools and use it as a pry bar to open up a car door and break it or bend it, doesn't mean the tool is crap or a product of poor engineering, just that it was used improperly.

CuriousLayman

Sapling
Reaction score
American Bonsai is very easy to get a hold of on Instagram:)
So, I've tried the multiple emails mentioned earlier. I've tried calling and leaving a message. I've sent messages on facebook. Still nothing. I'm tapping out. I like the idea of stainless but I can get Kaneshin a little cheaper anyway.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
So, I've tried the multiple emails mentioned earlier. I've tried calling and leaving a message. I've sent messages on facebook. Still nothing. I'm tapping out. I like the idea of stainless but I can get Kaneshin a little cheaper anyway.

The seller that I bought my Masakuni from in Japan only charges maybe 15% more for Masakuni than what Kaneshin would cost you. Just some food for thought...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have called them a couple of times over this last year and I had no trouble talking to them or having them resolve my problem.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
The seller that I bought my Masakuni from in Japan only charges maybe 15% more for Masakuni than what Kaneshin would cost you. Just some food for thought...
I just got all my tools stolen and need to replace them. I'm wanting to know the name of the seller that you bought your Masakuni tool from if you dont mind?
Thanks

Johnnyl

Seed
Reaction score
I joined this mainly because I bought American Bonsai's multi-purpose tool. I inspected it and noticed chunks of metal missing. I have tried for weeks to return them. I finally gave up. The metal is "grainy" if you look closely and it's not ground/ cleaned as a hood Japanese tool is. I won't purchase from they again. Honestly the tool reminds me of cheap Chinese tools.274971

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ve have never tried any stainless tools as many consider them lesser quality. Considering the split then no need to pay a premium unless you like shiny tools. I use the ARS scissors Adair mentioned. Ones with the green handle and one angled with a white handle. I have a pair of Kaneshin shears and rarely pull them out.

Best tools I have ever bought are the concave cutters from Kaneshin with the rounded blades. They are a game changer. If you don’t have knob cutters this is close to a 2-in-1 tool. They have two sizes and I have both.

I also have a small Kaneshin cutter with a spring I use more than any tool except scissors. It is very small and perfect for small branches and pre-bonsai work.

My other tools are cheap amazon tools my wife surprised me with a few years ago. Not recommended but I use the cheap wire cutters a lot. Doesn’t matter since mainly unwire vs. cut off.

I probably will get the largest Kaneshin concave cutters next and then a better knob cutter. As you can see I am looking at a fourth concave cutter before upgrading my other tools so clearly they are the items I believe you just can’t skimp on. I can’t imagine most would ever justify a high end root cutter or trunk splitter.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have several tools from American Bonsai. I've had the tools for several years. I take care of the tools and don’t push them past what they’re supposed to be used for. I’ve been very happy with the tools and the AB fast response time online and over the phone. The AB tools stay sharp always for me. I haven’t had to sharpen one of them yet. I do enjoy taking care of my tool investment though...so my habit is not to abuse them. When I started using them I told myself...these are not pry bars...these are precision cutting tools....so I treat them like that. My root cutting scissors though, are from Vietnam. They are common heavy duty scissors used in the Vietnam fish markets...definitely not stainless steel....I think they would just be called steel. Works really great for root pruning though....and branches.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have several tools from American Bonsai. I've had the tools for several years. I take care of the tools and don’t push them past what they’re supposed to be used for. I’ve been very happy with the tools and the AB fast response time online and over the phone. The AB tools stay sharp always for me. I haven’t had to sharpen one of them yet. I do enjoy taking care of my tool investment though...so my habit is not to abuse them. When I started using them I told myself...these are not pry bars...these are precision cutting tools....so I treat them like that. My root cutting scissors though, are from Vietnam. They are common heavy duty scissors used in the Vietnam fish markets...definitely not stainless steel....I think they would just be called steel. Works really great for root pruning though....and branches.
I have also found that when you have a problem they will talk to you and bend over backward to solve the problem if you let them know you have a problem.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Does anyone else think it's odd that there's a company called American Bonsai which makes tools that are not made in America. Pretty sure they are made in China.

This is coming from a Chinese American who bought their Star Wars themed shirt at a convention because it looked cool. There tools looks alright, but I think you'll get much better long term value out of Kaneshin or Masakuni. Also, how do they have Star Wars themed shirts? They are def not paying royalties on that to Disney.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does anyone else think it's odd that there's a company called American Bonsai which makes tools that are not made in America. Pretty sure they are made in China.

This is coming from a Chinese American who bought their Star Wars themed shirt at a convention because it looked cool. There tools looks alright, but I think you'll get much better long term value out of Kaneshin or Masakuni. Also, how do they have Star Wars themed shirts? They are def not paying royalties on that to Disney.
I’m with you, Jeremiah. The tools are made in China. The “American Bonsai” is a marketing gimmick.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Yes and you will pay the price for doing so. You said: Pretty sure they are made in China. You should make sure you are correct before leveling a pagoritive.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes and you will pay the price for doing so. You said: Pretty sure they are made in China. You should make sure you are correct before leveling a pagoritive.
Vance, they ARE made in China. I asked them. They said they were hoping to find a manufacturer here in the US.

This was about a year ago when I asked.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I've been doing Bonsai since the 1960's and all my tools are Chinese or American made from Ace or Home Depot or Meyers or Kresge, etc...I use wire cutters, flat nosed pliers, duck billed pliers, short and long tweezers, pecan picks, Soup spoons Tsp & Tblsp, Kershaw pocket knifes, Magnifying glass, Deformed Table fork as a rake....All Good.
Specialty Bonsai tools highly Overated, its the "Indian not the Arrow"....
Annnnnd remember..."Resistance is Futile so lower your Shields"

Last edited:

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Vance, they ARE made in China. I asked them. They said they were hoping to find a manufacturer here in the US.

This was about a year ago when I asked.
https://www.americanbonsai.com/Articles.asp?ID=256 <-- Then this clouds things up a bit. On its own, its not clear. Coupled with what you're saying, ...sounds like somebody needs to change their story.

Top Bottom