Huge Ficus microcarpa

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe a couple more angles? Tilt the tree around and see if the front could be changed. I think it gives it character.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
By the way all your posts are making me want to work on my microcarpa this weekend.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Maybe a couple more angles? Tilt the tree around and see if the front could be changed. I think it gives it character.

This is the only front, I've tried other angles but this is the only useable front.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
R.I.P. Not exactly sure what happened, but it's got some weird fungus. Oh well, I'll replace it with 7 more.

007.jpg
006.jpg

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That sucks. Never fun to lose a tree. At least it's not your OTHER huge microcarpa. Now that would be a shame.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That sucks. Never fun to lose a tree. At least it's not your OTHER huge microcarpa. Now that would be a shame.

It's funny how I thought this tree was "huge" :p

That tree is actually pushing out tons and tons of growth since I repotted it into pure pumice. The most growth I've ever seen from it.

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Is that perlite you have on top of the soil there ryan?

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm going to move to a much more course mix for my next repots. How often do you have to water?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is that perlite you have on top of the soil there ryan?

Nope, pure pumice.

I'm going to move to a much more course mix for my next repots. How often do you have to water?

The water runs straight through the stuff, but it does still hold some. I'd say I have to water every 3 days or so.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
R.I.P. ... it's got some weird fungus.

As was said, never fun to lose a tree! :(

As for the weird fungus, hard to tell from a picture what it might be. It might be very common in your area -- but not common in southeastern Asia, so that the species has no defense against it. As I may have said on this forum before, "Exotic works both ways!"

One of our common species of scale, here in northern IN, has a sweet tooth for Ficus salicaria, and the tree, to which the scale is "exotic," resists it about as well as a Congresscritter resists a lobbyist. All the more reason to keep an extra eye on non-native trees.

(You have to allow for the possibility, too, that the fungus got hold after the tree was already moribund from some other cause. I've had that sort of scenario a time or two -- it can be pretty confusing!)

Top Bottom