I have no idea what I’m doin...😅 Help?

alekhya94

Seed
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I’m a total noob at everything Bonsai. My husband bought me one a few years back and I’ve been “taking care” of it. But then I realized I have no idea what I am actually doing.

- I have no idea what kind of tree it is
- I have no idea how to trim/shape it
- I have no idea if it’s even in the right pot

I started doing some research online and I can’t figure out how to ID my poor tree. I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me out! Here’s what he looks like.

Thank you so much! I can’t wait to explore this forum even more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 83

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
What you have is a type of Ficus, a house plant often mislabeled by stores as "bonsai." It looks like you're keeping it healthy which is a good first step if you want to do bonsai.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a Ficus microcarpa. F. microcarpa is a great tree for bonsa - especially for beginners, so you’re in a good spot. I wouldn’t worry too much about trimming or styling just yet. The main thing is to get to know the tree and it’s needs; you want to be able to keep it alive before you can really do much styling/training.
-give it plenty of sun, but not direct sun.
—outside is best if possible when the temperature is above 50°f/10°c - but with protection at the hottest point of the day.
-don’t let it dry out!
—microcarpa is actually fairly drought tolerant, I’ve let many dry out completely, and only suffered a few yellow leaves. But of course prolonged periods of this or too often will lead to a sick tree. So keep it moist, but not completely soaked. If it’s outside you may need to water it a couple times a day and maybe most it a couple times in between.
Recap: plenty of indirect sunlight, keep it moist but not soaked. Too much sun will dry the leaves, and not enough water will turn the leaves yellow. These are the main points.

There are some great channels on YouTube that will be helpful as well - Nigel Saunders (the Bonsai Zone) is a great resource.

Good luck!!! So far it looks great!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just had a closer look at the pictures.
It definitely Looks like it could use a little more water and a good bit more sun. A south facing window will do if it can’t be outside. I would simply cut the long shoots back 3” at least. I wouldn’t cut too much until it’s in better health. But over the next few weeks with plenty of water and sun all will be well.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey everyone!

I’m a total noob at everything Bonsai. My husband bought me one a few years back and I’ve been “taking care” of it. But then I realized I have no idea what I am actually doing.

- I have no idea what kind of tree it is
- I have no idea how to trim/shape it
- I have no idea if it’s even in the right pot

I started doing some research online and I can’t figure out how to ID my poor tree. I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me out! Here’s what he looks like.

Thank you so much! I can’t wait to explore this forum even more.

Greetings, Stay a while...warm your roots by the fire.

Yes indeed Macrocarpa, yes INDEED appears spoiled and happy! :) Spoiled and happy is GOOD...needy, sick trees do NOT respond well to bonsai (or many other) techniques.

All useful information was already previously stated. (As far as maintenance and care.)

Just extending a welcoming brach...
We are all rooting for you...

Pleasure to make your acquaintance... I love it here.. I bet you will too.

Scads of shared information/experience, as well as teaching/learning opportunities.

alekhya94

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for a warm welcome and wonderful tips!

I’m glad I finally know what he is!!

I trimmed him a little bit as you said, or maybe I did too much. But he looks happier now! Hopefully, I can find a better place in the house to get him some more sun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 48

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you everyone for a warm welcome and wonderful tips!

I’m glad I finally know what he is!!

I trimmed him a little bit as you said, or maybe I did too much. But he looks happier now! Hopefully, I can find a better place in the house to get him some more sun!
Looks good 👍
I just noticed that it has those glued-on bits of gravel. I would get those off as it’s really difficult to judge the moisture of the soil with those there. These trees usually haven’t been in the pot for very long, so there’s little need to repot. But, the soil that they come in is generally not the best for bonsai - it’s not very free-draining. So, repotting wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Second Nigel Saunders, especially for tropicals and ficus... he has some very nice tropical trees and is good at explaining the care of them.

Top Bottom