I'm in a pissy mood, chest clearing needed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I've been a part of lots of forums over the years. (Lots is probably an understatement).

I can take a jab every now and then.
Can someone get this guy a drink, really! hey hop to it...

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok, since we're into bein' all pissy here's one for ya.... let's say I have a neagari JWP that's over 3' tall... Do I put it in the pine forum, Dai/Omono forum or Neagari Forum?

Trick question - There isn't a Neagari Forum! Just root-over-rock/rock planting! So since I can't decide it's going in "General." Then I'll have people from both the "pine" and "Dai/Omono" forums yelling at me b/c it should be in their sub category!

The problem is any given tree could work for two or three different sub-forums. You know what makes me pissy? People who can't realize not everything in life is black and white! :p;)

Just wondering smoke... do you put your shohin maples in the "maple" or "shohin" sub forum? Heaven forbid you decide to do one of them root-over-rock... where will you put it then? What a dilemma!:D

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, since we're into bein' all pissy here's one for ya.... let's say I have a neagari JWP that's over 3' tall... Do I put it in the pine forum, Dai/Omono forum or Neagari Forum?

Trick question - There isn't a Neagari Forum! Just root-over-rock/rock planting! So since I can't decide it's going in "General." Then I'll have people from both the "pine" and "Dai/Omono" forums yelling at me it should be in their sub category!

The problem is any given tree could work for two or three different sub-forums. You know what makes me pissy? People who can't realize not everything in life is black and white! :p;)

Just wondering smoke... do you put your shohin maples in the "maple" or "shohin" sub forum? Heaven forbid you decide to do one of them root-over-rock... where will you put it then? What a dilemma!:D

Your missing the point. You put it where it is MOST LIKELY TO BE FOUND by someone looking for what ever it is your are posting. Your 3 foot pine should be in the pine forum. My shohin maple will be equally at home in shohin or maple, but stupid in the general forum where it will never be seen nor found 30 days from now. As for Root over Rock, there is a sub forum for that too. You should know you just put a tree there.

If I was really pissy I would ask why you don't have a better handle on what it is you do? That would be a cheap shot. I take it back.....but it does make a lot of sense now about your recent post about beer forums. You just can't post about dark beers in the ale forum silly.:p

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
. I don't think your readership is what it is because you post it in "general". It is what it is because it is not maybe interesting to that many readers.

What are you saying Smoke? Nobody is interested in pinching junipers?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go ahead and give a jab 'now and then', as well. What's good for the goose is good for the gooser.
I just recently took you off ignore, but this is a good point.

Taking jabs is good, but just remember that the jabs have to mean something. Take a jab based in truth, not just because you disagree with someone. Jab the work, allow the words to mean something and you will gain respect even though you may be seen as someone who jabs a lot. I have no problem with jabs if they are based in truth. It will be up to me at that point to either defend what is said to be lousy work, or something I said not based in truth (which BTW never happens) or let it go because I was wrong and have been called on it. Whether you like me or agree with me personally is immaterial to me. Its all about the work.
Adair asked for my opinion,
I gave it; too pointy, crappy pot and no taper. Now if he doesn't agree it will be up to him to convince me and the forum otherwise. I have given a very truthful critique of what I see as posted. It does't look like this now, but I digress, and frankly can't wait for a more recent picture to analyze. So far he has laughed out loud....

index.php

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just recently took you off ignore, but this is a good point.

Taking jabs is good, but just remember that the jabs have to mean something. Take a jab based in truth, not just because you disagree with someone. Jab the work, allow the words to mean something and you will gain respect even though you may be seen as someone who jabs a lot. I have no problem with jabs if they are based in truth. It will be up to me at that point to either defend what is said to be lousy work, or something I said not based in truth (which BTW never happens) or let it go because I was wrong and have been called on it. Whether you like me or agree with me personally is immaterial to me. Its all about the work.
Adair asked for my opinion,
I gave it; too pointy, crappy pot and no taper. Now if he doesn't agree it will be up to him to convince me and the forum otherwise. I have given a very truthful critique of what I see as posted. It does't look like this now, but I digress, and frankly can't wait for a more recent picture to analyze. So far he has laughed out loud....

index.php
Yes, I actually did chuckle when I read your critique.

The pot is the everyday training pot, not the show pot. I agree that it looks crappy. But it's very sturdy, and the tree grows well in it. It gets changed for shows. As you know.

The lower trunk between the nebari and the first branch has no taper. The nebari is excellent, and the taper from the first branch up is very good. I can not change the lower trunk's taper.

This summer's growth has made the top more pointy. JBP should be more pointy than JWP. But I agree it appears too pointy. After the summer needles harden off, it will time to detail wire the new summer growth, and the whole tree, not just the apex will be adjusted.

So, I agree with all your points. One I cannot change, I have to live with it. You've seen the tree in a show pot. I now have another. And I'll be tweeking the new growth in a couple weeks.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I yanking your chain..Ive seen the tree in person..I know what it looks like. You did provide that picture though and ask for it!!!!!

"I" agree with all that you said except for one thing. "I" think the overall height of the tree is too tall. "I" think it would look older shorter and with a well rounded top. I also think this is a slanting trunk and "I" would probably accentuate the slanting nature of the trunk giving the tree more dynamic feel instead of a green helmet.

I have used "I" in quotes so that no one can mistake this as an idea of mine and that you should do one single thing to your tree. Just havin fun.

pine6.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah.
No. Hell yeah. With an F.

Me too. Whoever said to water "mimicking the rain" must have never seen Forest Gump. I wanted to go talk shit on That thread and couldn't find it. Now I know where it is!

I refresh new posts all day. There's no other way to fly.

I hate it when people ask you questions without a reply or tag, or other cue, and you never find it again

@Smoke notice that says YOU and not OnES, cuz it happens to you all the time.

I'm a fucking Nut Junky. A whore!
Whoa, phone switched that whore to white, that woulda sucked!

Did anyone notice Smoke asked for a drink for Thella, and Brew comes in, but just talks shit about roots, c'mon brew, what would grandma do?

Vance, oooooh Vance! Tell Frary to clean his shit out of your garage so you can spend some time with technology in a peaceful space.
Not a "man cave", because that is stupid!

I think I'm through.

But we should move this thread to the Fert forum yes? Pissy!

Sorce

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Things may not get posted ion the approproate sub forum as you call it because if you post it there odds are it is going to get ignored, it's hard enough to get people to pay attention to what you are doing in the general discussion forum. I have posted every where only to have to move a post. Let's be honest; no one post anything because they hope no one is going to pay attention to it.
I agree with this thread with particular regard to this quote.
Post in the correct forum and hardly anyone notices the tree. Even people supposedly "enamored" with that species. Yet a simple twig with a few leaves can generate a four page discussion in general discussion.

DISCLAIMER: this is in no way or form a stab at any thread or person. It is merely an observation on my part as a forum lurker and sporadic poster.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I warned you, what you want me to do?

Gonna go check some polls on Trunk now.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Oh no, Adair,
There's nothing funny about that shitty Boon Pine. It belongs in the, "looking for suggestions" thread!

Totally kidding!

Seriously, feller I work with today told me about a hot rod junkie, a vrooom lover. Test drive a Tesla and freaked on the quiet. Sold him. Crazy!

Sorce

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I yanking your chain..Ive seen the tree in person..I know what it looks like. You did provide that picture though and ask for it!!!!!

"I" agree with all that you said except for one thing. "I" think the overall height of the tree is too tall. "I" think it would look older shorter and with a well rounded top. I also think this is a slanting trunk and "I" would probably accentuate the slanting nature of the trunk giving the tree more dynamic feel instead of a green helmet.

I have used "I" in quotes so that no one can mistake this as an idea of mine and that you should do one single thing to your tree. Just havin fun.

View attachment 82629
fwiw, i also think that your jbp looks too symetrical, removing the lower right is deffinatly an option to consider.
i dont really mind the hight, i lke the subtle movement in the upper part (needs to be more round though) but if the upper trunk has good taper as you say it could be interesting to show this some more, it might take some attention away fromt the fact the lower part has no taper

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with this thread with particular regard to this quote.
Post in the correct forum and hardly anyone notices the tree. Even people supposedly "enamored" with that species. Yet a simple twig with a few leaves can generate a four page discussion in general discussion.

DISCLAIMER: this is in no way or form a stab at any thread or person. It is merely an observation on my part as a forum lurker and sporadic poster.
If Walter Pall was here posting mountain pines from the Alps in the correct forum, there would be 10,000 replies in two days. You can read into that what you want:D:D:D:D

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
maybe this forum needs a "critique" subforum or post, where you post your pictures and get honest critique pointing out the bad parts

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Disclaimer.

I'm only serious after "seriously", and when talking about trees.

The rest is all in fun.

Unless you can't take it.

Ignore button is your friend!

Sorce

Top Bottom