im in idaho and all i think about are trees.

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Does anyone ever stop thinking of trees?
I'm in idaho vacationing and I was planning on collecting trees. But its calling me. There are a bunch of self seeded junipers and pines under pine trees.
The main question I have is what type of pine is this?IMG_20130724_095018.jpgIMG_20130724_094955.jpgIMG_20130724_095034.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not know what the others are, but the ones in the first picture look like Lateral Pines too me! :p

ed

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I do not know what the others are, but the ones in the first picture look like Lateral Pines too me! :p

ed

Lateral Pines? Please excuse me but I have never heard of "Lateral Pine" what is its botanical name. I think these trees are probably Pinion Pine. Idaho is lousy with them. I spent a good deal of time last summer in that part of the country doing some family business. I do not remember running into an abundance of Ponderosa or Lodge Pole but Pinion were all over the place.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lateral Pines? Please excuse me but I have never heard of "Lateral Pine" what is its botanical name. I think these trees are probably Pinion Pine. Idaho is lousy with them. I spent a good deal of time last summer in that part of the country doing some family business. I do not remember running into an abundance of Ponderosa or Lodge Pole but Pinion were all over the place.

HUh ? C'mon I thought the stick out tongue emoticon would have clarified it was a joke, you see Lateral means extending from side to side ........ the first picture is sideways......

It always ruins a joke when you have to explain it to someone.

ed

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
HUh ? C'mon I thought the stick out tongue emoticon would have clarified it was a joke, you see Lateral means extending from side to side ........ the first picture is sideways......

ed

I will be back home tomorrow. I visited silverwood theme park and took a lot of landscape pictures of a ton of junipers maples willows and much more. Only if I had the permission and a 53'trailer.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

ed

I don't always pay attention to emotocons.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think these trees are probably Pinion Pine. Idaho is lousy with them. I spent a good deal of time last summer in that part of the country doing some family business. I do not remember running into an abundance of Ponderosa or Lodge Pole but Pinion were all over the place.

The trunks are wrong for piñon (too straight and free of low branches, too rough and red) and the cones are too big and conical.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The trunks are wrong for piñon (too straight and free of low branches, too rough and red) and the cones are too big and conical.

Well then I guess it's a mystery, you did not show the trunks and the growth looks like Pinion.

Top Bottom