I'm looking for a tree.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I've made up my mind, on what I want to try next! The problem is I don't know what it is. o_O

I'm looking for a good deciduous tree that flowers in the winter. Zone is a factor but where I am seems to sit about average for most. What would be some trees to look in too?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A zone would really help...so one understands winter care needed as well. Ume bloom as such. Quince are somewhat early in blooms. My chojubai are blooming now.
Yes, I just meant zone 6 seems to be middle ground for most trees.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think I've made up my mind, on what I want to try next! The problem is I don't know what it is. o_O

I'm looking for a good deciduous tree that flowers in the winter. Zone is a factor but where I am seems to sit about average for most. What would be some trees to look in too?
Ume bloom in the winter, but they’re pretty ugly the other 50 weeks of the year!

Crimsontide1970

Seedling
Reaction score
Have you thought about crabapple. Flowers. Fruit fall color. Taper and ramification can be a challenge. Grows fast

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I
Now those I'm really loving, thank you. :)

I can see me getting one of these soon or atleast looking into them more.
I have been talking myself out of the one for awhile. I keep telling myself I have a forsythia. And it also blooms yellow.

You are quite welcome!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Late Autumn, into winter, occasionally into December, after snow fall, Witch Hazel, Hamamelis virginiana. Very cold hardy, through zone 4. Yellow thread like flowers contrast nicely against black bark.

Chojubai, and several other Chaenomeles cultivars, all tend to bloom off and on year round. Main flush is very early spring. 'Toyo Nishiki', 'Minerva', 'Double Take Scarlet', 'Iwai Nishiki', 'Choraku' and others are all a little larger growing than 'Chojubai' which makes them more winter hardy.

Ume of course. Culinary apricot and culinary plums flower before leaves, not as early as Ume, but earlier than other spring blooming shrubs. They make decent bonsai, but like Ume, do tend to be ugly most of the year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Witch hazel...is pretty cool in bloom too. We have one down by our garage. The neighbor who loves taking down trees...is always asking to remove. But it's a nice smaller tree with showy flowers. So it stays. I think Valavanis shared one before...that was bonsai.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not much to look at when it’s growing but blooming is a great respite from winter blues. This is actually blooming right now from a warm spell we’ve had. Normally blooms in late February. There are many varieties of different colors. I have “ Birgit” which red, Brotzman bicolor and this one is “Jelena”.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for all the images. I think I'm sold on those winter jasmine tho :). Going to have to see what I can find around here.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Witch hazel, there are several that are common in the USA.

Hamamelis virginiana - is the common autumn & early winter flowering witch hazel, native to most of eastern half of North America. Only color is light yellow to a darker golden yellow. Hardy through zone 4, possibly into warmer parts of zone 3.

Hamamelis vernalis - native to Ozark Plateau, Missouri, Oklahoma, & Arkansas. Begins blooming mid-winter through early spring, hence the name "vernalis" meaning ''spring". Color includes oranges and reds.

Hamamelis x intermedia - available from the nursery trade, it is hybrid (H. japonica x H. mollis)
This hybrids has larger flowers, in a range of colors, and a range of blooming times, mostly late winter or early spring. Each named cultivar has its specific time. Colors from bright gold through vivid red depending on which cultivar is chosen.

The H. vernalis and H. x intermedia are hardy through zone 6 with some cultivars being hardy into zone 5, some are not hardy in zone 5.

Top Bottom