Images/Manage Attachments

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure if this was discussed during the recent upgrade threads, but I couldn't find anything about it.

I thought in the past that if you were writing a post, you could use the "manage attachments" option to find images you've uploaded in the past and attach them to the new post without uploading again. Maybe I'm not remembering that correctly...but I wanted to do that on a post today, but when I click on "Manage attachments" I only see options to (1) upload files from my computer and (2) upload from a website...I don't see any way to access the images I've uploaded previously.

Is this an intentional change, a bug, or am I just not remembering it correctly? Is there a way to access those previously uploaded images? I'm sure there was but can't find it now.

Chris

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Dario, I had missed that discussion.

So we've lost the ability to re-use the attachments that have already been uploaded. Bummer.

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Dario, I had missed that discussion.

So we've lost the ability to re-use the attachments that have already been uploaded. Bummer.

Chris

No, just a different way now. Read it again. ;)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're missing my point.

I know where to find the attachments I've uploaded previously, that is explained in the other thread.

However...as far as I can tell (from my own testing plus reading that thread), there is no longer a way to re-use those images in a new post without uploading them again from my computer. Previously you could click on "manage attachments" and could choose one of your already uploaded images to attach to the new post. Now, it seems you have to upload the image again which will waste space on the server.

If I'm missing something obvious here, please tell me how to do it or show me where it is specifically explained.

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're missing my point.

I know where to find the attachments I've uploaded previously, that is explained in the other thread.

However...as far as I can tell (from my own testing plus reading that thread), there is no longer a way to re-use those images in a new post without uploading them again from my computer. Previously you could click on "manage attachments" and could choose one of your already uploaded images to attach to the new post. Now, it seems you have to upload the image again which will waste space on the server.

If I'm missing something obvious here, please tell me how to do it or show me where it is specifically explained.

Chris
Did you read post #16 and #17?

No, they aren't "gone" - I just don't like the way the system files them. I don't find it particularly easy to use.

If you want to see all of your attachments, go to your USER CP. If you look down the menu, under MY MESSAGES and MY SUBSCRIPTIONS you will see MY SETTINGS. Under miscellaneous you will see "attachments". Click on that and you will see every attachment you have ever posted :) Also note that you can view them as text links, or as thumbnails (I prefer the thumbnails).

Is this what you were looking for?

attachment.php

Ok so here is a quick drag and drop. I opened two browser windows - one with the "reply" text box open and one showing my USER CP and attachment thumbnails.

In my reply text box, I click on "insert image", and I drag the thumbnail into the text line. It works, but it isn't particularly intuitive.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
testing testing

attachment.php

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it does work...though somewhat clumsily. Guess I was guilty of being dense today.

Thanks for helping!

I still would prefer being able to directly insert them in one window, the way it was...

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So it does work...though somewhat clumsily. Guess I was guilty of being dense today.

Thanks for helping!

I still would prefer being able to directly insert them in one window, the way it was...

Chris

I agree :)

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you read post #16 and #17?
When I look at my list of attachements in user CP, all I can get is an icon of a pic and the file name. So I must click on each one until I find the one I want. Simpler for me to go back to my 'puter files to see them as thumbnails and upload again. I get what Chris and Judy are saying.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I look at my list of attachements in user CP, all I can get is an icon of a pic and the file name. So I must click on each one until I find the one I want. Simpler for me to go back to my 'puter files to see them as thumbnails and upload again. I get what Chris and Judy are saying.

I do too. But just pointing out that there is a way to get what you posted before, though not as intuitive/fast.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Did you click on "show thumbnails" at the bottom of that page? That lets you see what each image is (though a small version). Which is OK, but if you have uploaded many images you will still have to go through many pages to find the one you want.

Would be ideal if you could set the # of thumbnails to view on a page, or even better, have them come up in a window so you could see all of them at once (with a scroll bar). Don't have any idea if that is possible.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very clumsy, have to have two windows open, slows the whole thing down.... I really don't like it and miss very much the old version of that function. I think it's great to attach an old pic of where the tree was along with the new pic in the progression esp. if it's been a few years. And dredging thru all my other pics of stuff (trips, dogs, whatever...) in my computer is a pain.

Maybe if we ask real nice, we could reinstate the old version???? :eek:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, do you remember if the "old way" allowed you to see all the images at once? Or at least be able able to scroll through the images without having to go through the list page by page? I only used that function once or twice but seem to recall they were all there to choose from.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Judy, do you remember if the "old way" allowed you to see all the images at once? Or at least be able able to scroll through the images without having to go through the list page by page? I only used that function once or twice but seem to recall they were all there to choose from.

IIRC, they are not in one page but you see thumbnails at least.

Top Bottom