Indian hawthorn

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Does anybody know when these push new leaves, or the latest? I’ve read they will come back from a chop, but maybe I didn’t protect them enough this winter.

Joseph, how are yours doing, are they pushing any new buds?

They passed the fingernail test, still green, but I’m beginning to worry about em’.

Took a bit, but yes, there are some buds forming. They are white with red spots, strange...

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
for some reason I thought these were evergreen, not deciduous? Shouldn't they have leaves this time of year?
They are evergreen in 8b. I’ve got some BIG 15-year old IHs in the front that are coming out when cool weather returns. Some of them were in an area where they “benefited” from a septic field failure for a few years (fixed 10 years ago), and they are seriously lush.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took a bit, but yes, there are some buds forming. They are white with red spots, strange...

...then two beams of light broke through the clouds!
Thanks again Joseph.
You approached any moves with yours yet?

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Yes, I cut it super hard, just too lazy to post pictures

Bearded_Jiggs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do these air-layer well? I have a very large one growing out front of my office (in a big planter type area that is built into the building, been here for many years) and there are sections that are leafless and brittle looking (guessing dead, can't reach them but they look awesome, would love to come up here on a weekend sometime and sneak an air layer or two into it to see if I can bring the magic home with me one day. I've been meaning to snap a photo, I'll try to grab one on my way out of work today and post on Monday. It's almost (almost) like gigantic bonsai (though I'm sure the roots reach far into the ground under the foundation of the building.

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Sorry to bump an old post, but I’m wondering how both of yours are doing? How have you found them to work with, difficulty-wise?
Any tips on them? I’ve purchased one that’s gonna need some serious choppin, and I can’t find a whole lot of info about them.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would wait with the serious chopping until close to the time when you would put them outside in spring.

I am familiar with them from seeing them in the landscape in Florida and as bonsai in the Marie Selby Botanic Garden in Sarasota Florida. And seeing one in the UW Madison, WI, botany greenhouse. SO it is a species I'm aware of but have never grown myself.

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah, I'll definitely wait until spring; it's not in great shape right now anyway. It's got leaf spot. And maybe bugs. But I can't find much info on them as bonsai besides this thread, so I figured maybe someone still had one surviving and could tell me how they fair. I just need to know what I'm in for 😬

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I'll definitely wait until spring; it's not in great shape right now anyway. It's got leaf spot. And maybe bugs. But I can't find much info on them as bonsai besides this thread, so I figured maybe someone still had one surviving and could tell me how they fair. I just need to know what I'm in for 😬

The Indian Hawthorn, Rhaphiolepis indica , is in the rose family, but it is not closely related to the North American or European hawthorns, Crataegus, it is a different sub-family. However. Most members of rose family respond to pesticides in fairly similar fashion.

If you have black leaf spot, a common affliction of roses, you can use any of a number of fungicides formulated to treat Roses. There are a number of "all in one" sprays or powder formulations that treat for black leaf spot and powdery mildew and downy mildew. Some will also have an insecticide, some will not. Should be available at any garden center that has not gone "totally Christmas Decorations and nothing else".

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
If you have black leaf spot, a common affliction of roses, you can use any of a number of fungicides formulated to treat Roses. There are a number of "all in one" sprays or powder formulations that treat for black leaf spot and powdery mildew and downy mildew. Some will also have an insecticide, some will not. Should be available at any garden center that has not gone "totally Christmas Decorations and nothing else".

I didn’t realize the rose fungicides would treat it. I read somewhere about copper fungicide works, so that’s what I ended up buying. But honestly, by the sounds of how leaf spot spreads, I have a feeling this shrub is gonna be a bigger pain in my ass than I had planned 😁

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
In Georgia's weather we usually spray our first fungicide in early March to prevent the typical leaf spot. In the landscape I have found that the early application is the only way we can prevent the disease.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Once you get it set up, and the right pattern of care set up, it all becomes routine. Key with controlling leaf black spot, is to not let fallen, infected leaves lay on the soil in the pot with the Indian hawthorn. Spores from the dead leaves travel and re-infect the plant, so removing the dead leaves away from the bush will help control the disease.

The "All in One" rose sprays will often have a copper fungicide as part of their ingredients. There are other fungicides that work well. Key is read the labels. Make sure it says will kill black leaf spot on roses. If it says that, it should work, if you follow directions. Important is the reapplication rate. The label will tell you how often to apply. Repeat at that frequency. It will help you clean up your tree and keep it clean.

Top Bottom