Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a somewhat unusual, yet not totally unknown, composition as it combines two styles. Root over rock and raft.

Has been in brother in law’s care for 6 years. I repotted and trimmed back for him four years ago. Haven’t seen since.

Not flashy but a nice bonsai if certain issues can be resolved.

IMG_2746.jpeg

Received in mid September as below. Some branches have characteristic cedar apple rust swelling (argh!) and will need removal. Thus branches in these areas are weak. Most of the muck has deteriorated, Roots on one side have retracted since last seen, Roots haven’t extended into media on one whole side. Trunks askew. Composition needs trimming. and wiring.

Most of the collection is headed to storage or in storage already, so it’s a good time to get this project done.

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great idea!

Here’s a couple enlarged images with affected areas circled. (Can be hard to tell when looking at an image as branches overlap. )

However, these show the characteristic branch swelling in an unlikely position well, with the brownish red punky bark… circled in red. Also note how the branch swells, then often returns back to a normal size later on.

Example one.
IMG_0207.jpeg

Example Two
IMG_1848.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Getting started on the worklist. aka Mucking about smartly!

The images below show the roots are exposed and this composition needs to be mucked again. Exposed roots are not necessarily a bad thing, yet in this case the entire tree is weak from disease, lack of moisture retention, poor sun exposure. The branches and roots furthest from the old root base (formerly the apex) are especially weak.

Re-mucking will help solve the roots issues, allowing the roots to extend into the media, and draw more water and nutrients.

Note: I circled the area below pondering if the composition would be improved by pulling this area down against the rock. The idea would be to score the branch bottoms, apply rooting compound, pull the branch down and muck/moss the area with holes to strike more roots. This might make more of a grounded design. Any opinions will be welcome!

IMG_0030.jpegIMG_0207.jpeg

Before mucking all the detritus and moss is removed and the media was cleaned.

Next step was to mix the muck. Mixed up 1/2 peat, 1/3 Kanuma dust, and the rest equal parts of very small Kanuma and composted manure. After mixing this up added a slurry of cornstarch and cold water (that was warmed up.

btw Everyone I spoke with about muck recipes seemed to think their recipe was the best worlds greatest muck recipe, so be forewarned! Kinda like “My media is the best!”

IMG_1849.jpeg
IMG_1849.jpeg

Next event - Mossing

cheers
DSD sends

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpeg
    IMG_1848.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 19

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
btw Everyone I spoke with about muck recipes seemed to think their recipe was the best worlds greatest muck recipe, so be forewarned! Kinda like “My media is the best!”

Witches brew?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thinning - Structural issues - Mossing up the Rock
(So sorry for double posting one side of the composition above)

The composition has some issues besides disease. The foliage is a bit too much. So thinning and foliage reduction were done. This includes reducing many junctions to bifurcations, leaving some to topside area just to retain foliage. (For those concerned about the late date for this work - this job was done a month ago.)

Also aesthetic issues. One example: Many sub trunks are crowded together on the lower side of the composition. Also these are more angular then on the left… work will be done to clean that up quite a bit.

IMG_1850.jpeg

Some preliminary wiring was begun to start ’clean’ this area up.

IMG_1851.jpeg

Next, moss was applied. In this case Yamagoke (Mountain Moss) was soaked and separated an hour in advance. Some folks say to do this overnight. It’s due to rain for two days straight, all is ok. (As a personal preference, do not like spreading dried moss to the surface. )

Moss was taken up in wads with bent nosed tweezers and tucked firmly into the area around the nebari. Then tucked into the muck, progressing downward from the nebari to the media level.

Then more wire was hung…

IMG_1856.jpeg

Finally the moss was tucked firmly around the base of the rock and into the media at the edge of the pot. Then tucking more moss into the media while working outward from each area until the area is totally covers.

IMG_1857.jpeg

… a few more bits of wire were hung and sub trunks moved about.

IMG_1854.jpeg

Afterwards the observation was, “This looks like a moldy loaf of Pumpernickel!” … and it does. That’s the price of doing business 😉

If anything this job will hone one’s wiring skills!

PS: If one looks closely at the final image it’s possible to see at least three upper branches affected by Cedar Apple Rust. All gone now.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Didn’t get back to this composition until last week when it was pulled out of the cold frame.

We are in the midst of wiring… easing back on conifers and continuing satsuki and various other projects. Things are in a bit of flux as the temps are hovering at 60/50 this week.

Dusted off the copper and finished this raft on a rock for now. Next will be to ease in on the fertilizer in February.

Side one

Dunno which side is the front - not key right now - however welcome any ideas and rational for front and other styling thoughts.

IMG_0851.jpeg

Other Side.

IMG_0850.jpeg

Ended up torquing the guy wire more, removing a few trunks, along with positioning each for max visibility from either side.

It’s entirely possible more trunks will bite the dust, but not now. This growing season the goal is to grow strong.

cheers
DSD sends

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I like this composition! I favor the first "pose" for the front. It looks a little more balanced... Should be an exciting unveiling in the spring...😁

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe not the best idea, but worth considering none the less.. How about tilting the first picture of your last post, about 40 degrees to the right?
Make it cascade over the rock.
I see no reason why these styles couldn't be combined.

Top Bottom