Introducing myself and my bonsai pottery

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi there! This style is made from a dark grey stoneware clay which is first bisque fired and then hand rubbed with black iron oxide while it is still very porous. After that it is high-fired to become fully vitrified.
Thanks!!! So, is this iron oxide made into a water solution?

I have a bisque fired pot I would love to get this effect. It looks cool.

Any tips making the rivets??

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes, mixed with a bit of water and rubbed on and then the excess is wiped off.

Rivets are a little tricky and can be time consuming. I made a tool out of a cylinder of wet clay for the size rivet that I wanted and poked a half-circle hole into one end using a chopstick to create the spherical shape. I then bisque fired it and use it like a stamp with little balls of clay. Each rivet that you add needs to be scored and painted with clay slip before attaching.

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Thats why I would never buy a pot with any kind of internal lip or inward bowing at the top. I look for straight up and down sides or even better a slight outwards taper. Happy to see you here. I've got trees needing pots soon and will keep you in mind. Do you make rectangles?

I have just posted two new rectangles if you are interested in checking them out www.ashleykeller.work/shop

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I personally really appreciate simple, unglazed pieces like this and have a few coming out soon in about this colour.

A note on handling extreme cold - stoneware pottery that becomes vitrified through proper high temperature firing is frost resistant however it should still be noted that even a frost resistant pot can crack in the winter. When bonsai substrate is wet and the weather begins to freeze it, the substrate will expand and the pot can crack from internal pressure.

Just wanted to clarify since in Canada we can have winter temperatures of -40 C
That's true, but that cracking is mostly due to the pot's design. Inward curving lips, rounded sides, or any design element that restricts soil expansion UPWARD can break a pot. Pot walls should be sturdy enough to force the freezing soil upwards and not be so "soft" as to allow that soil mass to push laterally. Rarely do well-made pots break simply because it's cold. The materials the potter uses, as well as their designs are critical to a bonsai pot that will last.

And to be blunt--round pots are mostly useless for bonsai, unless you get very VERY good at making nanbans, drums and other specialized designs. Round is the easy way out for potters. Learn how to make a rectangle and oval WITH PRECISION and PROPORTION and you will go far. There are a handful of western potters who understand that. Sloppy, colorful glazes are all the rage now, don't get sucked in... Work on developing your own glazes. Understated is better than overstated...

Bonsai butcher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone! My name is Ashley Keller and I'm a new member here in Bonsai Nut. I am a bonsai potter in Canada who has recently started an online business and would love your feedback on some of my work.

ashley-keller-bonsai-pot-4.jpg

ashley-keller-bonsai-pottery-75-min.jpg

ashley-keller-bonsai-pot-33.jpg
I went to the website but didn’t see any bonsai pots. Are you still producing them?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I especially like the glaze on the 1st post....

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
He hasn't been here since December 2018 and the site comes up missing for me so I'm guessing it didn't work out or something happened

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow! The site was up when I clicked ~9 AM, -now gone. She had some nice hand painted mugs for sale.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, new website! Sheesh... 😜

Found it in recent thread

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well I hope she hasn't given up making pots.
The ones I saw were very nice.
Maybe the comments on round pots scared her off? I agree that round pots are not generally the most desirable simply because the only fit a certain tree shapes. Other shaped pots are harder to make well but are worth the effort for someone with the talent.

Bonsai pots are a niche business and probably getting known is the biggest obstacle. It's also something that isn't going to be a huge mover but can certainly supplement other business.

Bonsai butcher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, new website! Sheesh... 😜

Found it in recent thread

There were pots on the current website but only as recent as 2018 or 2019 I think. The ones I saw were stellar.

Top Bottom