Is it legal to ship plants from Jackson Hole, to where I live?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Supposing that I collected on a private property and not a park.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon, but who's going to get it?

Sorce

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess it depends on the plant you are bringing in and your state's laws governing things crossing it's borders. California is very strict about what kinds of things can enter, I dont know what kinds of standards New York has. You're probably ok?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe the answer for New York is "no problem". Inside the USA the whole point of the interstate commerce rules is to allow unrestricted shipment between the 50 states of the USA. No state that I know of prohibits the export of trees, and the only states that require the inspection of incoming plant material and produce are states with major agriculture pest concerns. California, Arizona, and Florida are the 3 states that require Phytosanitary Certificates, and or Inspections at the state border.

If you harvested the trees on private property, with permission of the property owner, and the destination is inside of the USA, there are no issues with CITES or other Endangered Species regulations (Lacy Act).

So just put it in a box, and ship it.

If the origin or the destination is outside the 50 States of USA, then a whole bunch of rules and regulations kick in. Quarantine is mainly for living plant materials coming in from other countries. It does not apply moving around inside the USA.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe Leo has hit the nail on the head. I've collected in Texas and shipped back to Va. I even took a very large collected elm stump onboard a commercial aircraft through TSA. No one blinked--at least to my face. There may have been a lot of laughing and pointing at me behind my back though "Lookit the crazy #!%& with the TREEE!!"

Top Bottom