Is this a defense resin on my buds, or am I dealing with insect secretions? 2 needle pines affected

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have scale on a pinus nigra in an obscure setting for overwintering, but it's in ground.
The white buds are what drew my attention to look closer.

The white blister like growth on one terminal bud I'm hoping provides a clue.
I'm finding this white coating on my other 2 needle pines to varying degrees now
but I am not finding clusters of scale. What I am finding other threads suggested
like with juniper that it is merely resin oozing. Another thread, a mugo possibly oozing
a resin to combat UV exposure. However, these are Sun loving trees.
Yes, we recently had high heat indices for a few days in a row a couple of weeks ago.

This seems to be affecting JBP, p. nigra, and mugo. Not all my mugo are showing this, to this degree yet.

1692189238448.png
There is a possible small congregating patch of 4 or 5 bumps under this white bubble.
Is this honeydew or resin? There are no ants on or around my trees.

DSC_0202.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

Nearly all my pines were affected by brown tip blight, or needle cast last year, with remaining visible damage.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pretty sure white resin on buds is one of the ID characteristics of P. nigra. Starts to appear through summer and present into winter. JBP does not usually produce resin on buds though.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never seen this on JBP or mugo either.
Not sure why they would do that to be honest. I've had tip moths lay eggs in buds and never saw this

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
Buds on RAF scots, Spanish scots pine old lodgepole, 2 JBP shohin that were not de-candled this year, old jack pine, old limber pine, and 2 varieties of JWP all have buds exuding sap. Spike in temps, lots of sun and humidity plus a fert. application have produced an abundance of sap.
I'm thinking your pines are just happy living with you.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks exactly like the Jack pine I used to have

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My dwarf landscape pinus nigra has a lot of this resin, while my pitch pine pre-bonsai in a grow pot does not. The Pinus nigra was attacked by some fungus earlier (diplodia?) but unsure if the extra resin is related.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The resin is fine, as long as it's not oozing like a glue bottle in the sun.
Literal oozing means it's trying to push something out.
A sticky coating is just to protect it throughout the fall, winter and spring.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Buds on RAF scots, Spanish scots pine old lodgepole, 2 JBP shohin that were not de-candled this year, old jack pine, old limber pine, and 2 varieties of JWP all have buds exuding sap. Spike in temps, lots of sun and humidity plus a fert. application have produced an abundance of sap.
I'm thinking your pines are just happy living with you.
Actually now that I think about it my landscape EWP kind if has this happening this year. I wouldn't worry
Thanx all for the replies.
This settles my mind a good deal.
I know my other p. nigra in ground has scale and their white bodies are what alerted me to their invasion. That one is more needles and obvious oval bodies.
At least I'm being attentive.

Top Bottom