It wants to cascade.

Nickagainst1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know this tree is screaming cascade. I'm struggling as to where to start. I really want to do this tree justice. What a trunk. Any advice will be taken seriously. All I have done is clean up a little. 20210907_003330.jpg20210907_003413.jpg20210907_003244.jpg20210907_003312.jpg

Attachments

• 20210907_003330.jpg
    20210907_003330.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 3

Nickagainst1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A few more the back? Or a different front? Lots of budding near the trunk being selective, but I'm definitely gonna be removing some of these branches. I like the original front I chose in the first post but I can see using one of these angles also.20210907_010250.jpg20210907_022357.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got a couple more wide shots?

You'll have to pick a branch to eliminate sooner or later, and you'll doubt yourself when you do.
10 or 20 years from now, you'll know you made the right call.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have found that if it is difficult to decide between option A and B that only means that both options are equally good. That further means it does not matter which you choose because both will make equally good bonsai. When faced with such difficult decisions toss a coin if you must but make the choice somehow. Procrastinating never moves the tree closer to being bonsai.
If you took the tree to a workshop the teacher would assess all the options and then just make a quick choice and get on with it. Most people believe that's experience and skill but in reality it is because they don't have any financial or emotional investment in the tree so it is far easier to make those decisions.

@ShadyStump is correct that as soon as the choice is made it becomes the right choice. There is no wrong choice in situations like this one.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have you removed that cascading bare branch? My first instinct is to get rid of it because the angle doesn't seem to compliment the cascade, instead distracting from the "flow" of the rest of the branches

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If this is juniperus horizontalis, they have a creeping growth pattern. They don't generally grow upright. So trying to force it into a style that it doesn't have a tendency to grow could just end up being frustrating as you constantly battle the tree to do what it doesn't want to do

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this tree is screaming cascade.

I believe you are correct....only....as a nursery plant.
As a bonsai, I think you'll find a better image using the trunk, and some of that new close growth to create something other than a cascade.

Mostly because you stand an excellent chance of finding something with one thick branch, that is already in better proportions to create a cascade.

The proportions of those cascading branches are such that, if you think about how long it took all of those undesign worthy branches to create that trunk, you can imagine how long it will take one of those branches to get to appropriate size to compliment the rest of the trunk.

To me, this spells a waste of this trunk and this trees best and fastest potential to create a pleasing image.

It won't hurt to leave one cascade branch on in the meantime, but I wouldn't remove too much of that other growth too quickly. This way your options are open. I'm quite sure though, that if you keep your eyes open for something faster to a well proportioned Cascade, you will find it.

Sorce

Nickagainst1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Right on yall. Thanks so much I resisted the urge to do more last night as it was late and I was growing weary, but I sure am glad i did. I think these are all very useful points and I honestly am usually a bold decision maker, so I'm gonna trust my gut, go with it and see what betterment I can bring to this beauty.
I will say I've been debating as to whether it truly is a cascade or just a sprawling growth habit playing trixies... I thank you all for your time and advice.

Top Bottom