Italian Stone Pine Care in Phoenix Arizona

Bonsai4life

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone! I just got an Italian Stone Pine and need some pointers to wire it, pot it and care for it. I got started into bonsai 1 year ago so I’m still learning. I live in Glendale, AZ. I checked on the website Phoenix Bonsai Society but there is not much info about this tree. I would like to know when I can wire it, trim it and repot it. Thank you!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They abide to regular pine rules; repot in spring or fall, wire whenever you want but take care not to damage buds, trim.. I don't use a trimming schedule/calendar, but just go with regular pine protocol and you should be fine.

Pinus pinea are the Juniperus virginia of the pines though.. They come with some warnings about how feasible/realistic it is to try and make a bonsai out of them.

ack

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Bonsai4life,

I'm by no means an expert (I'm about 3 years into the hobby) and I don't have experience with that particular species, but here's what I'd do:

Assuming that it's a relatively inexpensive piece of material (a holiday tree from a big box store? I've seen them use stone pines for those) and that you are as interested in developing your own skills as you are in developing this particular tree, I'd feel free to style it any time between now and early spring (like mid Feb). I would protect it from any freezing temps after styling if we get any (in a garage, under an awning, or under frost cloth, not in the house). I'm not sure, but I'd guess you'd be okay taking off up to 50% of the foliage?

In terms of actual styling, take a look at some of the nursery stock series from bonsai Mirai on YouTube. Here's one:

If you do style it, I would not repot it until the following year (ie Jan or Feb 2022). Generally, the recommendation is to do no more than one "insult" per year (ie one major operation like styling or repotting per year at most).

Hope that helps, and hope to see you at PBS meetings once they resume!

Andy

Bonsai4life

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They abide to regular pine rules; repot in spring or fall, wire whenever you want but take care not to damage buds, trim.. I don't use a trimming schedule/calendar, but just go with regular pine protocol and you should be fine.

Pinus pinea are the Juniperus virginia of the pines though.. They come with some warnings about how feasible/realistic it is to try and make a bonsai out of them.
Thank you!

Bonsai4life

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonsai4life,

I'm by no means an expert (I'm about 3 years into the hobby) and I don't have experience with that particular species, but here's what I'd do:

Assuming that it's a relatively inexpensive piece of material (a holiday tree from a big box store? I've seen them use stone pines for those) and that you are as interested in developing your own skills as you are in developing this particular tree, I'd feel free to style it any time between now and early spring (like mid Feb). I would protect it from any freezing temps after styling if we get any (in a garage, under an awning, or under frost cloth, not in the house). I'm not sure, but I'd guess you'd be okay taking off up to 50% of the foliage?

In terms of actual styling, take a look at some of the nursery stock series from bonsai Mirai on YouTube. Here's one:

If you do style it, I would not repot it until the following year (ie Jan or Feb 2022). Generally, the recommendation is to do no more than one "insult" per year (ie one major operation like styling or repotting per year at most).

Andy
Thank you Andy! I will watch the video.

Bonsai4life

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonsai4life,

Andy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to missed ya!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cool! I also got one and plan to do some major shaping this weekend. Mine is much larger though. I plan to have the end result look close to it's natural mature shape, which is an umbrella-type of canopy.

italian-stone-pine-pinus-pinea-front-ai-petri-mountain-background-crimea-vorontsov-palace-park-alupka-region-97703262.jpg

Here's my thread on this tree: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/pinus-pinea-for-a-beginner.47215/#post-811505

Bonsai4life

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom