Itoigawa Shimpaku Redemption

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Went to homederpot and got a 1 gal plastic .. perfect fit so I’m a dolt lol no soI’ll needed E2459DB6-12DD-4555-A17F-F0220B1124BC.jpeg

Attachments

• 05920D22-C45E-4458-B6D3-B7BDA8C84713.jpeg
    05920D22-C45E-4458-B6D3-B7BDA8C84713.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 37
  • 7A447C5A-D364-43FE-A97A-8D9FC6779DCC.jpeg
    7A447C5A-D364-43FE-A97A-8D9FC6779DCC.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 34
  • BBAF399A-A8B5-4FC6-99DE-DF9EECAF2EA9.jpeg
    BBAF399A-A8B5-4FC6-99DE-DF9EECAF2EA9.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice. If you have drainage/aeration issues you can drill as many holes in the nursery pot.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice move, I think that nursery pot will be much better than the colander.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
That looks like excellent material!

I won a small Itoigawa Juni at a club auction in around 2014, In 2020 it really started struggling so I lifed the whole lot with rootball and dropped it on a bed of moist sphagnum moss in a larger pot then packed the sides, It's almost like a miracle cure!!

This pic was taken in December 2020 after i'd potted it in to sphagnum moss..
x4YXcYT.jpg

I took this pic a few days ago, Had to cover the moss with stones as the birds were taking it to build nests last year!!, It's regained it's lovely colour and some vigour!, I'll be putting it back in to a smaller dish with some decent soil, Possibly in august/september as i've heard lots of people saying their evergreens do much better when the repot them in late summer/early autumn!
G3GFvK5.jpg

Btw, It took some time to realise that I photographed this tree at the club when the last chap owned it, I took this pic in 2012..
FAqVm1u.jpg

Good luck with yours 👍 :cool:

John :)

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I won a small Itoigawa Juni at a club auction in around 2014, In 2020 it really started struggling so I lifed the whole lot with rootball and dropped it on a bed of moist sphagnum moss in a larger pot then packed the sides, It's almost like a miracle cure!!

x4YXcYT.jpg

I took this pic a few days ago, Had to cover the moss with stones as the birds were taking it to build nests last year!!, It's regained it's lovely colour and some vigour!, I'll be putting it back in to a smaller dish with some decent soil, Possibly in august/september as i've heard lots of people saying their evergreens do much better when the repot them in late summer/early autumn!
G3GFvK5.jpg

Btw, It took some time to realise that I photographed this tree at the club when the last chap owned it, I took this pic in 2012..
FAqVm1u.jpg

Wow, good save!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

x4YXcYT.jpg

G3GFvK5.jpg

FAqVm1u.jpg

Thanks , I’m going to style this tree early fall then provide winter protection for it and not let it freeze this year

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The tree lost its winter color and is full on green. Anyone with the best advice for when to repot? I’ve always been told it’s later in spring after pines and spruce, but also read before the winter blush fades ?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We’ve reported Juniper at various times of the late winter and spring.

imho Timing on junipers that are in good condition at this time of the year is more about aftercare. If you can provide good conditions for the next 4 weeks the tree will certainly flourish.

Cheers
DSD sends

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree lost its winter color and is full on green. Anyone with the best advice for when to repot? I’ve always been told it’s later in spring after pines and spruce, but also read before the winter blush fades ?
More and more, I’m repoting my Junipers later into the spring. Def after my deciduous. I feel like repotting too early has slowed the energy push brought on by spring growth. Just my 2cents

EDIT - i like @Deep Sea Diver answer better.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
March is bad time for me to repot juniper as the new roots freeze.
Nearly lost my cascade doing just this. Set it back 2 years, (+ I had thinned the year prior).
Now I wait till the growth tips on procumbens are plump and juicy
which is mid to late April, and all juniper safe to repot then for me. Last frost is May 10 here so I try to have
all repotted by 1st week of May. No foliage removal last Summer/Fall.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
March is bad time for me to repot juniper as the new roots freeze.
Nearly lost my cascade doing just this. Set it back 2 years, (+ I had thinned the year prior).
Now I wait till the growth tips on procumbens are plump and juicy
which is mid to late April, and all juniper safe to repot then for me. Last frost is May 10 here so I try to have
all repotted by 1st week of May. No foliage removal last Summer/Fall.
Gotcha , I do have the ability to shuffle I have 3 carts lol.. all packed to the brim. And I have about 6 project trees and a massive future show Pitch Pine at the studio green house

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Okay repotting tonight , te weather is nice till next week but that’s what I have carts to shuffle in and out for
Pot :check
Tree :check
Soil : check 1.5:1 ratio of pumice and akadama and a bit of lava
Tonight’s repotting music brought to you by

Attachments

• 2C334623-937D-4568-9B74-F67BAB81A8C1.jpeg
    2C334623-937D-4568-9B74-F67BAB81A8C1.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 27
  • 99042C1F-2976-41B4-9904-0E1BFC3DFD3D.jpeg
    99042C1F-2976-41B4-9904-0E1BFC3DFD3D.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom