Itoigowa

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks to me like Chopsie's tree has been into much shade. That's why it's so leggy. Itoigawa doesn't normally grow like that.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, do you have a picture of this Shimpaku Juniper before you exposed the Bonsai in it ?
And is the Deadwood original or was it added by you ?
And what is the Height and Width of the tree ?
Also I like the Nebari on this setting but it might be a little much.
Could you consider a Pot with another inch of height so as to cover some of the Nebari ?
And if you do that I could take the Pot off your hands if you like...
The deadwood is my fault, either out of design or the results of removing branches and not cutting them flush which has always been my practice. The tree is about 20" tall, and the width about 11". Usually you don't see the Nebari on a Juniper. However the deadwood on a Juniper is caused by the same processes that cause deadwood on a Bristlecone Pine sectored architechture; exposure of surface roots, so I guess that's not going to change. I am not considering a new pot for the tree and the pot the tree is in is a Sara Raynor pot I am not likely to part with. I have a video of the creation of this tree on tape if I ever get it converted . I probably have a photo but I am going to have to dig for it.

Reaction score
looks like internal foliage that is a tad off colour being recently exposed to light.I would leave it in the greenhouse way to wet in the uk much better under cover untill summer arrives. Lovely tree

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
looks like internal foliage that is a tad off colour being recently exposed to light.I would leave it in the greenhouse way to wet in the uk much better under cover untill summer arrives. Lovely tree
Are you refering to my tree or the OP's?

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi all

I made myself sit and wire the itoigawa today, it hasn’t had any wire on for 16 months or more.
I sat for around 5-6 hours which is very good for me as I usually get distracted by something or someone
Anyway I have had to stop as I need to have a break from it today.
I shall finish off tomorrow
Here’s a picture of how it is looking so far

1C2A192C-C0E3-4A1A-9BE0-CA0CF011CAD6.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Make sure your growth comes up from the branches supporting it from underneath like a hand and fingers, not hanging down.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If I owned it, I would be ecstatic.
However I would make that center pokey-uppy deadwood more choppity-uppity looking.

Top Bottom