J. monosperma

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with one seed juniper , J. monosperma. I recently found this yamadori for a rediculously low price ( the freight was more than the tree ).

I know , that damn teniacle.....:mad: Since it's there I'll leave it for a year so I don't add any stress to an already stressed tree.

Opinions welcome , suggestions and critiques also welcome but must be polite.

Dwight

Attachments

• J. monosperma from Allan.jpg
    J. monosperma from Allan.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 78
  • J monosperma.jpg
    J monosperma.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 73

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It has a huge trunk for the amount of living foliage. Any idea of how much of the trunk is living wood? This would be a critical element in determining a design option for the tree. I think the tree is probably worth what you paid for it but it will all depend on your ability and willingness to reduce and sclupt.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
It's supposed to be half dead so lots of posabilities there. Nothing wrong with my willingness but ability is another question. I think I'll practice on some dead wood I have here.

Reaction score
I think I know why the tree was so cheap...did the seller tell you or did you inquire about when it was collected? There was a guy selling these that were collected this January. There is no way he could be sure if it survived collecting because he didn't see it through even one growing season. Just so you know. I sell an occasional tree myself and would never put a tree up for sale that hadn't pushed new growth confirming the roots are alive. You are lucky in one respect that one seeds are fairly heat-tolerant trees, but you will still need to protect it when the temps get hot this summer. Given your location, I would site it in full sun but under shade cloth. Your main task just now will be getting it acclimated to life in a pot. Mist the foliage at least twice a day--one seeds like that. I wish you luck.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
One seeds grow all over El Paso and on the adjacent mountains so it's really in it's natural habit. It's from central New Mexico so not much of a change. I realized up front I was taking a chance with this guy but if I can keep it alive for a couple of years it will be worth the gamble. I plan on placing in a grow box about 16" X 16" X 6" and keeping it on the back patio in complete but bright shade till March , then move it gradually out so it receivs morning sun for a few hours. The misting I'm planning on and water when the surface soil is dry. The collector suggested using root activator for a couple of months but I'm a little leary of that till it warms up enough for the roots to utalize the activator. If it's still alive at the end of June I'll start getting excited.

Any suggestions as to how to treat the tentacle ? I hate the damn thing but it's big enough to possibly stress the tree by removing it too soon.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the same guy. He was dusting the roots of your tree with root hormone powder. WRONG. Rooting hormone only works on plant tissue that isn't already root tissue--leaves, stem, and twigs. That he's advising you to use it also should be another red flag to you. The guy knows nothing about horticulture and little about collecting from the wild. As for the tentacle, cut the damn thing off if it bothers you, there's tons of foliage on the tree to support it. Keeping a juniper parked in the shade for the length of time you're thinking will do it no favors. If anything, winter sun won't harm it like summer sun will.

I'm trying to help out here. It's my opinion you better get a handle on the horticultural end of things before worrying about what to do with tentacles.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't think he was talking about rooting hormone but was advising roiot activator , which I've used for years on new plants. I was just thinking that if the tree is dormant ( and all my junipers both in the ground and in pots are ) then the root activator won't have much effect.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you were right on the BT thread about reading the articles and getting a better handle on what it will take to get this just collected tree to survive - before you worry about style. I am no expert, but I think that regulating the amount of moisture in the soil and multiple foliage mistings per day should help. Also, go to stonelantern.com and buy Nick Lenz's new (updated) book. He has some good tips on junipers (Rocky Mountian, Common & Field), which should also give you some ideas about how to keep this one alive and growing. Good luck.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Dwight,

One word of caution with this one..... It has very little roots and don't do anything for atlest 3 years.... Typical practice on collected junipers is you don't touch the tree until it has grown a good 3 inches (or more) in a season....
For now I would leave it in the container it is in and proceed with your plan to move it into a grow box next year without touching the roots... Make sure the soil you use is very fast draining, with RMJ we have found that Pumice, lava and akadama(or bark) works very very well.
Not to sound harsh but I wouldn't get your hopes up for survival. I saw the trees this guy was selling on eBay, and I would be shocked if any make it past the first year. Very little roots and a complete bare rooting done at collecting. With that said, I hope this tree makes it, I really do. I think it could be a good tree in 5-7 years.....

Thanks,

Jason

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I think you were right on the BT thread about reading the articles and getting a better handle on what it will take to get this just collected tree to survive - before you worry about style. I am no expert, but I think that regulating the amount of moisture in the soil and multiple foliage mistings per day should help. Also, go to stonelantern.com and buy Nick Lenz's new (updated) book. He has some good tips on junipers (Rocky Mountian, Common & Field), which should also give you some ideas about how to keep this one alive and growing. Good luck.

Done and done. I ordered the book a few days ago and am looking forward to it. The juni actually has some small hair like roots with filaments coming off so that at least is encouraging.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Not to sound harsh but I wouldn't get your hopes up for survival. I saw the trees this guy was selling on eBay, and I would be shocked if any make it past the first year. Very little roots and a complete bare rooting done at collecting. With that said, I hope this tree makes it, I really do. I think it could be a good tree in 5-7 years.....

Jason , I hear you and also realize the risks. Believe , my eyes are wide open on this one. It actually has more roots than I expected so maybe..... I'm keepin my fingers crossed but am not going to be upset if it doesn't make it.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Pictures

arrival
tree as sent
potted
potted
potted with my koi pond ( just showin off )

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 35

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Did you have a chance to see the roots at all? I would imagine that when you pulled it out of the original pot you have had to see the roots. If so, did you see any new root growth? Or any small fiberous roots? Just curious...

Thanks,

Jason

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
It was better than I had expected. There were a number of long ( 4" - 6" ) thin roots with small fiberous tendrals coming out of them. I should have taken a picture but I was so paranoid thanks to BT and you guys that I got it settled as fast as I could.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dwight, That's a hunk of a trunk. Didn't realize it from the first round pictures. Hope she cooperates for you.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
It is at that. Just keep a finger crossed , or two if yoiu choose. Hay Tom , I like your site. When are you adding trees ?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dwight, Thanks for the compliment. :) I released my first batch last year and they were sucked up by the locals in about 6 weeks. As it was my first quality harvest the pickings were few, about two dozen trees. This year I should have enough quality material to serve outside the local scene, the trees on the menu for 2007 are Scots, Tridents, Hornbeam, Jap. maples (field grown and "true yamadori") , 60 year old yamadori yews, a few shimpakus and and possibly some larch. Other species will come up later down the road. I don't want to rush things with the trees, if it isn't ready to be dug I'll wait. The end result will be worth it. We are trying to improve the way people purchase trees online by displaying each tree sold on a virtual turn table. Letting the viewer turn the tree 360 degrees, frame by video frame giving them a real chance to evalute the entire tree. Then supplement that with a photo of the last root prune so the viewer gets a look below the soil line. This all theoretically will be up on the site soon, so stay tuned in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dwight, do not do any pruning on this tree for some time. Leave the "tentacle" where it is. I cannot hurt your tree before it establishes itself.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I hear you Chris....2008 earliest. Now I have to live with that damn tentacle ........grrrrrrrrr. I think I'll go prune a tree in the yard.

Top Bottom