J. procumben Nana

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I took a picture of this little tree last night along with the other elms. I'd thought I show this juniper here too, eventhough it is not so great. I started this Nana juniper about 7-8 years ago by staking it up and twisting it around a stick. In April 2008, I styled and potted it, along with some of its brothers. For these, I usually just take off all the big branches and only work with the smaller branches, especially those in interesting, less predictable, locations. It is about 14 inches tall. It has a lot of movements, and therefore, there are several different and interesting views. All comments are appreciated.
Good day everybody!

Attachments

• nana juniper1 front bnut.jpg
    nana juniper1 front bnut.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 257
  • nana juniper1 back bnut.jpg
    nana juniper1 back bnut.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 193
  • nana juniper1 side bnut.jpg
    nana juniper1 side bnut.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 185
  • junipers 4-18-08 bnut.jpg
    junipers 4-18-08 bnut.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 205

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
fantastic tree i especially like the concept of twisting it around a stick neat trick very clever:)

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
fantastic tree i especially like the concept of twisting it around a stick neat trick very clever:)
Hi Donkey, this is a very common method of starting bonsai around here. In commercial nurseries, it usually leads to very common and ugly S-shaped trunks. But what most people don't realize is that one can get very fast and interesting curves in the lower and mid portion of the trunks, without the usual costly wires and scars. And then when the stick is removed and the tree is ready to be styled, the top-third of the tree can then be trained to counter-balance whatever defects the lower S-shaped two-third of the trunk has. Does that make sense to anybody? Thanks for your kind comments Donkey. By the way, you ought to get a better, or different, name. It is hard for people to refer to other people as "Donkey":)
Si

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
What's wrong with donkey would it be better if i had have went with duck fart as i like the ring of that:D

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree, and very well done. Thanks for explaining the method for us.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Si, I just posted a request for some ideas on four small shimpaku whips. Could you explain this method in a bit more detail so I could use it for these small shimpaku. Thanks, Si.

DaveV.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave, check thru some of Smokes posts he had some junis he did the wire and twist em up thing to.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Si, I just posted a request for some ideas on four small shimpaku whips. Could you explain this method in a bit more detail so I could use it for these small shimpaku. Thanks, Si.

DaveV.
Hi Dave, BillS is right, I think Smokes did a pretty good write up before on some of his small shimpaku projects. I remember seeing it somewhere, maybe on the old BTalk? Check them out first. I will see your thread and respond there too, after I see your shimpaku whips look like.
Good luck!
Si

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's a little nana I worked on this weekend. I had it for about 15 years. It was a cheap mallsai. It was neglected and overgrown for many years. Yesterday I bare-rooted it, removed some branches and foliage, and put it into this smaller pot. It is now about 15 in. tall.

Attachments

• juniper nana 1-12-11 BN.jpg
    juniper nana 1-12-11 BN.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
  • juniper nana 1-15-11 BN.jpg
    juniper nana 1-15-11 BN.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 103
  • juniper nana 1-16-11 BN.jpg
    juniper nana 1-16-11 BN.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 106

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, well done! I wonder if it really needs 2 jin which are almost parallel to each other. However, the jin here is necessary to counterbalance for the cascade branch in the right side! I hope there is some movement of the cascade branch. Good job man. bonhe

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Great job Si! All of these are beautiful!
Procumbens nana is my favorite juni. for many reasons, easy to find, low cost, do well almost anywhere, & produce a very convincing image of a pine in miniature.

Bob O

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Si, well done! I wonder if it really needs 2 jin which are almost parallel to each other. However, the jin here is necessary to counterbalance for the cascade branch in the right side! I hope there is some movement of the cascade branch. Good job man. bonhe

Hi Bonhe, those two jins are not actually parallel together in real life. One is in the back pointing away. It was one of the back branches. The cascading branch has plenty of natural curves. It matches pretty well with the trunk line. The foliage pads will fill in a year or two and that branch will be complete. Thanks Buddy!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Great job Si! All of these are beautiful!
Procumbens nana is my favorite juni. for many reasons, easy to find, low cost, do well almost anywhere, & produce a very convincing image of a pine in miniature.

Bob O

They are my favorite too! They are the first trees that got me hooked on Bonsai. They can get boring at times, but just keep faith, eventually they will make great re-styling opportunities.
Thanks Bob.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice tree... There are absolutely no traces of Mallsai left....:) Like I always say..every bonsai deserves to be the best bonsai that the individual tree can be..I believe this is the perfect look for this tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's wrong with donkey would it be better if i had have went with duck fart as i like the ring of that:D

Jackass, I like the ring of that:D

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Jackass, I like the ring of that:D

LOL! :D Thanks for a good laugh Smoke! I had forgotten all about this thread! I was going to add some new pics of nana junipers and found this. What ever happened to Donkey? Hadn't seen him around in the last few years. Hope we didn't scare him away.

Top Bottom