James W. Azalea 2020-2025 Contest Entry

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Shape looks good. However I would like to note that with you wrapping the entire trunk, you are limiting yourself for new buds to emerge at strategic locations. Unless of course you don't need new buds anywhere else on the trunk.

Also I find two smaller wires wired in parallel works better than one large wire. You have more control when you are bending.

1595529242570.png

Buds find a way. But yeah they won't grow from under the wire. I guess buds respond to light as well.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah, only now I see there is actual tape. I was already wondering what all the 'tape-talk' was about. Yeah, if you want what is in my picture, tape isn't the greatest. If you have a whip like that, many satsuki cultivar will backbud like that, without pruning apical tips.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've tried a few other tapes, but electrical tape is still my go to. It has the perfect stretch (that I find necessary, as it helps supporting the branch). It goes on easy and comes of just as easy. Sometimes more wraps has to be used. This one has 4 wraps and is going for it's 3rd year now...no degradation. I use a good quality tape. Not the ones from the $2 shop.
IMG_20200724_083222.jpg
It's a thick Portulcaria branch and takes its time to set.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shape looks good. However I would like to note that with you wrapping the entire trunk, you are limiting yourself for new buds to emerge at strategic locations. Unless of course you don't need new buds anywhere else on the trunk.

Also I find two smaller wires wired in parallel works better than one large wire. You have more control when you are bending.
I used two wires spaced about 180 degrees from each other. It's hard to tell in the photograph.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you are concerned about wire scars........you are not giving your trees enough attention. Some say wrapping the wire will reduce scarring, but the only real way is to look at your trees. You can use the paper tape that is found in the floral section for fake flowers at any hobby shop. You can find both green and brown.
Scarring is always something to watch out for. I have a tendency to remove wires too soon, maybe if I thought I had a little more protection I would leave them on longer.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In my (admittedly limited) experience buds will pop all over the place next growing season after the tape is off.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my (admittedly limited) experience buds will pop all over the place next growing season after the tape is off.
Adventitious buds will always pop. Why wait till next season when you can start setting your branches this season. You are loosing time (not in the sake of this contest) but time in the development of your tree.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've tried a few other tapes, but electrical tape is still my go to. It has the perfect stretch (that I find necessary, as it helps supporting the branch). It goes on easy and comes of just as easy. Sometimes more wraps has to be used. This one has 4 wraps and is going for it's 3rd year now...no degradation. I use a good quality tape. Not the ones from the $2 shop.
View attachment 317964
It's a thick Portulcaria branch and takes its time to set.
Is that fiberglass tape? In the US that is Class H insulation tape. All along I thought you were referring to the ubiquitous and usually black vinyl UL/CSA electrical tape which I am going to try soon as a wrapping experiment. I think the wrapping material for azaleas is less critical because it doesn't or shouldn't stay on for very long.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that fiberglass tape? In the US that is Class H insulation tape. All along I thought you were referring to the ubiquitous and usually black vinyl UL/CSA electrical tape which I am going to try soon as a wrapping experiment. I think the wrapping material for azaleas is less critical because it doesn't or shouldn't stay on for very long.
Ah I don't know what exactly it is mate. I just go to the electrical shop and buy insulation tape. As I said it has the perfect stretch and don't break down in the elements. I've used a cheap brand from the $2 store but you feel the difference immediately.
IMG_20200725_095952.jpg

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ah I don't know what exactly it is mate. I just go to the electrical shop and buy insulation tape. As I said it has the perfect stretch and don't break down in the elements. I've used a cheap brand from the $2 store but you feel the difference immediately.
Ahhhh. That black tape is exactly what I thought you were talking about. What you are using is a whole other thing. I will investigate . . .

BUT, I actually want my wrapping to break down quickly. It's job is done about as soon as I have finished moving stuff around.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That black tape is exactly what I thought you were talking about. What you are using is a whole other thing.
Not exactly sure what you mean mate. What i'm using is what you see...sometimes another colour yes ;)

BUT, I actually want my wrapping to break down quickly
That's the opposite of what I want. As I said it actually supports the branch because it's tightly wrapped. I want it to keep that support right until it's removed.

I've bent branches until I hear the crack. That's when I feel it does it's job best ...because it's stretched and tightly wrapped, it supports that cracked branch.

Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gees I just realised I have this insulation tape technique on a azalea thread. My apologies...I have never used it on a azalea.
I used it on all my other trees. I've never really had the need to use it on a azalea. It'll work on azalea to i'm sure, but I just wanted to put that out there...:D

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
(Sorry for the bad photo, sometimes I hate autofocus. But you kind of see)
DSC_0159.JPG
I apparently broke the branch on the right when bending. The branch on the upper left is broken completely off right where my wire ends. I'm going to blame that one on the chickens.
DSC_0160.JPG
After trimming again.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You damaged/broke those branches but didn't notice? Then they wilted, but the others remained pristine because they weren't damaged?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You damaged/broke those branches but didn't notice? Then they wilted, but the others remained pristine because they weren't damaged?
I knew it when I broke the one on the right. The other one happened later, while I wasn't watching.
But, yes, the rest are undamaged. So far.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Amazed you got away with just that amount of damage. Good job!
Luckily you actually have some branches remaining that might yield a good basis for a start of a nice result given you feed it up carefully and can get it to back bud.
Cheers
DSD sends

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Amazed you got away with just that amount of damage. Good job!
Luckily you actually have some branches remaining that might yield a good basis for a start of a nice result given you feed it up carefully and can get it to back bud.
Cheers
DSD sends
It would not surprise me to see buds at those spots where branches were broken and removed almost immediately. And then more buds all along the trunk next year.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep! I was just batting around the thought of suggesting carefully getting rid of the grafling tape. It’s main purpose is over with. This action, if carefully done, will allow more photosynthesis to occur.

btw: How are you planning on ‘wintering over’ your azalea? in my simple garage set up (Multispectrum LED lights) my azaleas back budded in late January. I may toss in heating mats this year.

DSD sends

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yep! I was just batting around the thought of suggesting carefully getting rid of the grafling tape. It’s main purpose is over with. This action, if carefully done, will allow more photosynthesis to occur.

btw: How are you planning on ‘wintering over’ your azalea? in my simple garage set up (Multispectrum LED lights) my azaleas back budded in late January. I may toss in heating mats this year.

DSD sends
I will leave the tape for a while, possibly until the wire comes off. Next year is soon enough for buds.
I plan to winter it outside up against the foundation of my house with the pot buried in mulch.

Top Bottom