Japanes maple opinions sought

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason, kinda like this?

Yep.....but I would change the planting angle so that the trunk comes out of the soil at about a 45degree angle to the right the the apex of the tree goes left but not as far as it does now.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's early Friday morning and my coffee hasn't kicked in, but isn't Al's formula correct?

Al said, "Three inches in circumference would be about 7/8 inch across". That is wrong. He had it in reverse. If it is three inches across(diameter) it would would be about 7/8 inches circumference. Now if it is three inches circumference then it would be only one inch diameter. The formula for circumference is C=pi x d therefore, if d=3 then C=3.14 x 3 and that means C=9.42 or 9".

Al simply had the numbers reversed and I was playfully correcting him. I am correct.;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al said, "Three inches in circumference would be about 7/8 inch across". That is wrong. He had it in reverse. If it is three inches across(diameter) it would would be about 7/8 inches circumference. Now if it is three inches circumference then it would be only one inch diameter. The formula for circumference is C=pi x d therefore, if d=3 then C=3.14 x 3 and that means C=9.42 or 9".

Al simply had the numbers reversed and I was playfully correcting him. I am correct.;)

uhhh....no your not.

The circumference of the earth in miles is 24,859.82

The diameter of the earth at the equater is 7926.28.

Circumference is around the object...while diameter is across the object.

so..... I am correct;) BTW, you are correct I must deal with diameter and circumference on a daily basis...I have to be correct...my job depends on it.

I do stand corrected about the tree though. Since now that the tree is up to 40 inches tall that 3inch diameter seems more plausible. I would think about reducing it by half though since it seems skinny and that is what seems unplausible. Of course skinny trunks with full crowns is what we find in nature, so this may be a "naturalistic tree":rolleyes:

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Barbara, a better analogy would be when you buy pants.

When I buy a pair of 38 inch waist pants it is 38 inches around my waist, yet easily we can see that I am not 38 inches across........yet!

My diameter is only 16 inches. Of course if we make this a 360 degree view then my profile above the waist may be closer to 20 inches. You do the math! I just made myself sick.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How can a tree be 3" around and then 7-8" across? You said, "Three inches in circumference would be about 7/8 inch across". It can't be bigger across than the entire circumference.

Attachments

• circumference.gif
    circumference.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How can a tree be 3" around and then 7-8" across? You said, "Three inches in circumference would be about 7/8 inch across". It can't be bigger across than the entire circumference.

I didn't say it was 7-8" across I said it was a fraction, 7/8 inch across

Seven eighths of an inch. I did not use a hyphon, I used a slanty thingy.

Do you need my glasses?

Regardless, your formula is backwards. Circumference is always larger than diameter.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't say it was 7-8" across I said it was a fraction, 7/8 inch across

Ah, that's what I thought you meant. And they say Americans are terrible at math :rolleyes:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Ohhnh I got it now...your misunderstood me. See, thats what you get for trying to correct me.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8" vs. 7"-8". Yes I read the "/" wrong. Duh. But if it was 7"-8", which I mistakenly thought, then I would have been right. Glasses you ask? Ya, I need them. :cool:

Top Bottom