Japanese Beech Forest

That looks so nice Serg. J Beech roots grow super slowly. Unless it's not taking water, I'm not repotting mine; maybe on a 5-year cycle, and not over potted by any means. And fwiw, I think the slab and soil mound is nicely proportioned.

Thanks Brian! It may be just me then. :rolleyes: Sometimes I look at it and think the mound is slightly bit high. Anyway, you mentioning about JB roots got me thinking about perhaps this not needing repotting at all?? It does take up water just fine. I will take the plastic netting and see what's going on with the soil. This will no doubt change the volume of the mound when removed.

so is the netting there to prevent soil from washing away until moss grows around the soil? is that a common slab technique?

I would be in no hurry if it's taking water and you trust the soil...
Years ago I almost killed mine by over potting it. Roots just couldn't get out to the edges. Now I just try to let it be.

so is the netting there to prevent soil from washing away until moss grows around the soil? is that a common slab technique?

I suppose they used it for that reason. I have never seen this before. Usually moss is used to hold everything together.

I would be in no hurry if it's taking water and you trust the soil...
Years ago I almost killed mine by over potting it. Roots just couldn't get out to the edges. Now I just try to let it be.

Thanks again Brian. Will do!

I think you can help the image quite a lot by just squishing the muck wall a bit. I've made a vert of flattening the wall on the right and making the left side bulge out a bit, to illustrate (jump back and forth between your orig and my virt in the image viewer). The apparent uniformity of the muck wall is what catches my attention and it remains so, for me, even if the forest is set lower.
M5beech_mod.jpg

Attachments

• M5beech.jpg
    M5beech.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 113
I think you can help the image quite a lot by just squishing the muck wall a bit. I've made a vert of flattening the wall on the right and making the left side bulge out a bit, to illustrate (jump back and forth between your orig and my virt in the image viewer). The apparent uniformity of the muck wall is what catches my attention and it remains so, for me, even if the forest is set lower.
View attachment 72777

Thanks Oso! Yes I think once I remove the netting the outline of the mound will have to be finessed and address areas such as the one you pointed out. I wonder if the netting itself is even creating that sharp angle. Soon enough I'll find out and smooth out as necessary.

I was working late last night tidying up this piece with some trimming and wiring. As I studied the composition, I started to considered what was formerly the back as the possible new front. I may even change the planting angle slightly. All things to consider for next spring.

Here is the forest as it looked last night showing the possible new front.

Just finished tidying up this forest. Took all the brown leaves off and cleaned up some dead twigs and old stubs. Wires were taken off and applied some more to a few areas. I am liking this front much better specially looking at it without the leaves. The apex was cleaned and reworked. More development needed in this area.

Last year in early spring I lost many branches. Puzzled by it, I discussed the problem with BVF and Don. With their help, I came to the conclusion that I probably kept it too dry over the winter. I ensured that this would not happen again and kept it quite damp throughout this past winter. Luckily it grew strongly and filled out nicely as you can see by the pics above taken in early September. We shall see when it leafs out this year.

Beech bark is beautiful!

Kakuo dwarf azaleas grow under the forest. Soon tiny pink flowers will give the forest a pop of bright color.

Against black.

thanks for creating a necessity!!! hahahaha
I found a large beech I will airlayer like 15 branches off.

Max I understand from Bill that they air layer quite readily. Good luck and have fun with your project!

i just love the whiteness of the bark and how the leaves open up

Very nice forest, Serg. The white trunks and branches are surreal.

Thanks Fred! I love the white bark. Beech are simply beautiful and incredibly elegant trees. It is impossible to capture the 3D quality in a mere photograph. The one thing I do really like about this bonsai is the depth it has. By comparison, it appears so much flatter than it really is.

Way better front!

Sorce

What is that lump behind the largest tree in the center? It's a little distracting.
I have to say this is one of the best plantings, in my opinion, that I have seen....very pleasing image.
I have messed around with some younger trees and they seemed to not like too much attention. Water, feed, no eye contact....:rolleyes::p
That Kennett sale looked like a bonsai wish list. I was at Bonsai West when Michael pulled in with a U-Haul. Some great stuff in some of the nicest pots I've seen.
Great buy!!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom