Japanese Black Pine in Zone 10a (South West FL)

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am relatively new to bonsai, I have quite a collection of purchased, collected, gifted, and cuttings. I have multiple ongoing projects and would somewhat consider myself intermediate at this point. I am hoping I can get a couple of answers on JBP. I currently live in FL (Lee County) (Zone 10A) and was wondering if I could even have a JBP down here. Secondly, I would like more in-depth information on the care of JBP and what to do for winter considering how hot the winters are down here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Despite some of the northerners warning that JBP will not survive warmer climates many of our warmer climate Aussie growers find they grow well in northern NSW and Queensland which would probably equate to similar climate to Florida.
You will need to modify the pruning timings from that used in colder areas. I'm told warm region growers can decandle several times each year as the pines just keep growing.

Try searching for bonsai pines in tropical and sub tropical climates. Some of the growers on Ausbonsai.com.au may be able to help with advice and direct experience.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
JBP will need proper dormancy in winter months… at least 3 month of temperatures around zero Celsius (think it’s 32F). They will stand different conditions for 2-3 years but will be progressively weakening toward death.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My dad lives in Ft. Myers, quite a few pines in that area. Yes, JBP will grow there. Several members on this forum from Orlando on down to Ft Myers have showed their JBP. Not a beginner tree, but it can be done.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I currently live in FL (Lee County) (Zone 10A) and was wondering if I could even have a JBP down here.
There are plenty of JBP thriving in SoCal which is 10a-10b on the coast. I was in “10a” but in practice I never saw winter lows below 42F. If anything, my pines would have liked more heat and Sun during the growing season when the marine layer would hold temps in the 60-70s. Your average climate map looks more like zone 11. Do you see temps below 50F or is it more like the 54-57F show below?

I only decandled once per year. Same at the Huntington. If I decandled after middle-July I would only get buds and no extension. Sometimes more vigorous trees in development would get a 2nd flush in late summer.

IMG_4445.jpeg

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There are plenty of JBP thriving in SoCal which is 10a-10b on the coast. I was in “10a” but in practice I never saw winter lows below 42F. If anything, my pines would have liked more heat and Sun during the growing season when the marine layer would hold temps in the 60-70s. Your average climate map looks more like zone 11. Do you see temps below 50F or is it more like the 54-57F show below?

I only decandled once per year. Same at the Huntington. If I decandled after middle-July I would only get buds and no extension. Sometimes more vigorous trees in development would get a 2nd flush in late summer.

View attachment 490897
Some nights will get pretty cold, probably 30s but that’s the lowest, most days of our winter here it won’t get below 40 throughout the day. But it’s only for fronts. The weather is NEVER consistently cold.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can only speak for 9a but they do fabulous here. JWP don't, nor do larch or other northern species.

If the citrus trees are getting enough frost hours then the jbp will he fine.
yup, tried a larch coz i was curious, it's already gone to shyte

JBP is thriving in zone 10, getting more sun and less water than most of my trees

(gotta check my zone very carefully, perhaps i could migrate to 9B since i'm about 10km north of the tropic line)

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My trusty internet tells me I am in 9b, but this zone system is pretty foreign to me so don’t rely on that as gospel.
I can say that I have maybe 1 or 2 occasions every couple of years that go below 0 Celsius (32F) on the coldest winter nights. Average winter overnight is around 5-7 Celsius (41F - 45F) and that lasts for maybe 6 weeks or so before spring kicks in and things warm up.
JBP are one of my favourite species and they seem to grow well/thrive down here.
🍺

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
JBP will need proper dormancy in winter months… at least 3 month of temperatures around zero Celsius (think it’s 32F). They will stand different conditions for 2-3 years but will be progressively weakening toward death.
This statement above is simply not true.

20230528_090948.jpg

20221208_181009.jpg

This is...
Brazil

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
My dad lives in Ft. Myers, quite a few pines in that area. Yes, JBP will grow there. Several members on this forum from Orlando on down to Ft Myers have showed their JBP. Not a beginner tree, but it can be done.

Yes, there are many, many JBP and JRP around here, Brazil.
Some trees are 30~40 years old, some imported fro Japan as saplings, many grown from seed.
They do well, unlike JWP.
Goyomatsu - Parviflora - is nearly impossible here.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, there are many, many JBP and JRP around here, Brazil.
Some trees are 30~40 years old, some imported fro Japan as saplings, many grown from seed.
They do well, unlike JWP.
Goyomatsu - Parviflora - is nearly impossible here.
Can they still import bonsai from Japan to Brazil?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nope, you are probably talking about an alpine-mountain region pines like the ponderosa, JWP, mugo... JBP is a coastal pine from the southern islands of Japan, most of which rarely see any temperature below 0 C.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As some of you know, I'm betting on a JWP in my zone 12 climate, where never in history 0ºC have been reached....This is it yesterday:

JMK_1820.jpg JMK_1822.jpg

Stay tunned. If this one makes it (let's say it's alive and fine the next 5 years), there is hope for those who dare to grow pines in Florida.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As some of you know, I'm betting on a JWP in my zone 12 climate, where never in history 0ºC have been reached....This is it yesterday:

View attachment 492714 View attachment 492715

Stay tunned. If this one makes it (let's say it's alive and fine the next 5 years), there is hope for those who dare to grow pines in Florida.
How long have you had it there? My mugo died 2 years after I brought it to Texas... I think JWP on JBP root stock may have better chance of survival down here, but I am not interested in trying it out after losing the mugo. I can keep JM fairly decent under 50% shade until around July when the leaves start to scorch on the ends.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long have you had it there? My mugo died 2 years after I brought it to Texas... I think JWP on JBP root stock may have better chance of survival down here, but I am not interested in trying it out after losing the mugo. I can keep JM fairly decent under 50% shade until around July when the leaves start to scorch on the ends.
It's been here only for a year. My seller has 3 more from at least 20 years ago, so some hope!
I have had 2 JM for the last 2 years...nothing bad to report about them.

Top Bottom