Japanese Black Pine slant style.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
@Dav4 this spruce, in the Kokufu48 (1974) remind me perfectly your pine (trunk line & branches repartition) ->
page26.jpg

if i rotate the pic horizontally, the trunk line is very similar to your pine. The crown and the defining branch go to the right, above the big root and concave first curve ot the trunk ->
spruce-page26.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When deciding to candle prune, do you take into consideration how much the new needles have pulled away from the "spring candle/shoot"? Or do you decide exclusively based on the "accepted" idea of a hundred day's until first frost? @Dav4

Looking damn good, gen-x'r!!!! ;) 😄😄😄😄😄😄

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When deciding to candle prune, do you take into consideration how much the new needles have pulled away from the "spring candle/shoot"? Or do you decide exclusively based on the "accepted" idea of a hundred day's until first frost? @Dav4

Looking damn good, gen-x'r!!!! ;) 😄😄😄😄😄😄
The sweet spot for me for de-candling JBP here in my yard is the last 2 weeks in June for big trees and the first week in July for small/shohin, which is really probably a smidge early based on the 100 day prior to frost regimen. I won't really candle prune outside of that window . Beyond that, I only concern myself with overall vigor- length and number of candles as well as needle color. I noticed this year that the needles were still a bit tight to the stem of the candle but they came off anyway... let's see what happens over the next 2 months.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My other display in the Atlanta Bonsai Show this weekend. This Douglas fir followed me home from the nationals last month and normally wouldn’t be shown for at least a year after purchase… but since I’m moving and may never show here again, I threw caution to the wind😎.
E5293189-B34B-4CAC-876F-88661B1D9974.jpeg4A6B1124-2236-484F-A395-D587C7B908F0.jpegE0E77202-8D13-41E2-998C-56DEBD02DC31.jpeg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom