Japanese Flowering Quince cuttings in training.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@bonhe Chúc mừng năm mới! May the new year be filled with good fortune! Stay healthy and scholarly! 😄

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These three were admitted to my yard 16 months ago. Their characteristics are interesting! They will be suitable for small bonsai in my collection 😊

Chojubai
A2793784-0766-4B5D-8CE5-A61CFF38ACBD.jpeg.

It is weird to see 6 petals instead of 5 !!!!
720FA3E1-AF8A-444E-A886-AE3107AB9E3F.jpeg. C81F23D1-7FFC-4FF2-83FA-672B785482DC.jpeg

Chojubai
2DC04049-789D-45CF-8FA7-96DB7C5394D7.jpeg. 7C0B3D1A-F795-4BC3-826D-385963E2D74E.jpeg. F2202816-C707-43D0-B409-FBFFBACA49DA.jpeg

Hime
1E12C70F-3F3D-4F03-8FE1-3A638037B2B3.jpeg. FD61493A-AF6E-4DAA-AC4F-25DA37049F33.jpeg. A405E726-565C-4E33-914A-B85E62DC2B1A.jpeg

Thụ Thoại

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
This is the only thread on this forum I watch and return to, haha. :)
I rarely peruse this forum and other threads.

Anyways... I just ordered my first Quinces! A Contorted-Salmon-Pink and an Iwai-Nishiki! Can't wait to receive them! :D

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the only thread on this forum I watch and return to, haha. :)
I rarely peruse this forum and other threads.

Anyways... I just ordered my first Quinces! A Contorted-Salmon-Pink and an Iwai-Nishiki! Can't wait to receive them! :D
I am very glad that you like this post and especially flowering quince.
Please share your plants with us. Good luck to your new plants !
Thụ Thoại

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks! I am excited to get them!
Update: I won't get them until summer or fall, because I ordered other plants too (2 ume and a toyo-nishiki-improved(3 color) quince) that aren't ready until summer/fall (to save on shipping). Still excited though!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I am excited to get them!
Update: I won't get them until summer or fall, because I ordered other plants too (2 ume and a toyo-nishiki-improved(3 color) quince) that aren't ready until summer/fall (to save on shipping). Still excited though!
Very good. When you get them, if you have any question regarding to raise them in So Cal, please. Don’t hesitate to ask. Ume is hard to keep it healthy here ! 😜
Thụ Thoại

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Very good. When you get them, if you have any question regarding to raise them in So Cal, please. Don’t hesitate to ask. Ume is hard to keep it healthy here ! 😜
Thụ Thoại

Thanks!
Is Chojubai the most difficult one to raise in SoCal? (I didn't order any of those).

I ordered a Contorted, Iwai Nishiki and Toyo Nishiki. Are those varieties more resilient and vigorous for SoCal?
How much sun can they take in SoCal? Only morning sun? No afternoon sun?
Do I treat them like azaleas? (mostly shade, place close to east or north facing walls/house for shade from afternoon sun)
Or, can they take a little full sun, and can they take more sun than azaleas?

As for the Ume:
What makes Ume difficult in SoCal?
Currently, I have two garden/in-ground Ume. Young tall whips, planted them 1 year ago. Full sun locations (close to south facing walls). They are doing great so far and are super vigorous.
They are Unknown exact varieties (all I know, one is single-white and the other is single-pink).
That's why I ordered two more; ones that I know the exact cultivar (a Kobai and a WB Clarke). Very excited to get those too! :)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks!
Is Chojubai the most difficult one to raise in SoCal? (I didn't order any of those).

I ordered a Contorted, Iwai Nishiki and Toyo Nishiki. Are those varieties more resilient and vigorous for SoCal?
How much sun can they take in SoCal? Only morning sun? No afternoon sun?
Do I treat them like azaleas? (mostly shade, place close to east or north facing walls/house for shade from afternoon sun)
Or, can they take a little full sun, and can they take more sun than azaleas?

As for the Ume:
What makes Ume difficult in SoCal?
Currently, I have two garden/in-ground Ume. Young tall whips, planted them 1 year ago. Full sun locations (close to south facing walls). They are doing great so far and are super vigorous.
They are Unknown exact varieties (all I know, one is single-white and the other is single-pink).
That's why I ordered two more; ones that I know the exact cultivar (a Kobai and a WB Clarke). Very excited to get those too! :)
Yes, Chojubai is more difficult.
Yes, you treat it as azalea. Because of its thin leaves and flowers, it is easy to get dehydration due to high temperature and low humidity. So, if you place it in the coolest area and plenty of humidity, it will vigorously live. It like morning sun only. The reason is that I just wrote above .
Its roots also need a mild acidic environment or at least neutral pH. So, you need to make sure your water doesn’t have alkaline or else you need to chose the soil substances which can reduce pH such as pine bark, fir ground (or forest product ground) and humic acid granule. You can buy all of this at Orange Farm Supply on Chapman ave. Remember to tell the cashier that you are member of bonsai club ( bonsainut for example 😊) , then you can get 10-20% discount!)

Other flowering quinces are more forgivable but they don’t like afternoon sun either .

Ume will be treated as same as quince when it is placed into the bonsai pot. If it is planted into the garden, it is a completely different ball game. When we came to the house of old Japanese lady to dig Japanese winterberry, I saw a big ume growing in the ground with plenty of flowers. Its trunk diameter is about 50 cm !!!! It means when it is in the bonsai pot, the size of the pot is a major factor which affects the tree health. So, it should be in the same place as quince with same soil. I also use sphagnum moss to cover the soil surface to keep the root be cool in the hot weather .
Thụ Thoại

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Ah, okay... so, more or less similar to azalea and acer p (only morning sun, shade in afternoon, more on the acidic side).

I guess the east side of my house and north facing walls will have much more plants than the sunnier areas of the house, haha. I'm gonna have so many azaleas, quinces and j maples now.
I need more full-sun plants for the sunny areas (west and south facing) around the house now, lol. (I do have JBPs, SJ juniper and cuttings, seiju elm, and pomegranates though... they all love sun).

Nice tip on the club discount!! I wonder if it works at other nurseries (Green Thumb, Plant Depot, Armstrong, Ewing Irrigation Supply, Imperial Irrigation Supply, etc.) Thanks!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, okay... so, more or less similar to azalea and acer p (only morning sun, shade in afternoon, more on the acidic side).

I guess the east side of my house and north facing walls will have much more plants than the sunnier areas of the house, haha. I'm gonna have so many azaleas, quinces and j maples now.
I need more full-sun plants for the sunny areas (west and south facing) around the house now, lol. (I do have JBPs, SJ juniper and cuttings, seiju elm, and pomegranates though... they all love sun).

Nice tip on the club discount!! I wonder if it works at other nurseries (Green Thumb, Plant Depot, Armstrong, Ewing Irrigation Supply, Imperial Irrigation Supply, etc.) Thanks!
You are welcome!
You may try this with other stores ! 😊
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom