JBP candle growth aborting

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Much of that lower growth is in fact completely new shoots, so that is a pretty good reason for its relative weakness! ;) And for what it's worth, I really don't think there's any infestation going on. I've looked pretty closely, and the needles in those bare looking patches aren't eaten, they're just undeveloped.

Or rather, WERE undeveloped, because I did in fact decandle today! Today is actually 100 days before the average frost date in my location, so I decided to just bite the bullet. I cut the candles on everything that seemed safe, but as mentioned above, many of the shoots I'm considering using in the final tree had no old needles to cut back to. Hopefully decandling the really strong branches will allow the newer growth to catch up a bit and then I can let an escape branch or two run again next year.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I think the tree is strong enough to take it in stride, but worst case scenario, I kill a $49 tree and learn something, right?

Thanks again for the advice, guys!

Laura

Adair,

Was the lower growth this weak? Did u have upper bud infestation?

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Iant,

i will respectfully comment that the insect pic you posted looks more like a may beetle (Phyllophaga sp.) rather than a sawfly (Diprion sp.). i have attached comparison pics.

rds,
rick

Thanks Rick!
I think you're right. I think your picture is what I'm seeing. I still think they're eating my trees!
Thanks,
Ian

Top Bottom