JBP struggling after 2023

EnTfy

Seed
Reaction score
It’s been a struggle this year in Dallas.

I’m pretty sure at this point it’s too far gone, but going to see if keeping a heavy fertilizer regiment and a recent repotting (mid Feb’24) enables me to save this JBP. I didn’t see anything that would have indicated root rot or any issues with the roots. Haven’t had issues with insects but will be doing a spring spray in the next few weeks.

I’m hoping it’s stress and being in a new pot with fresh bonsai soil enables me to save it and let it grow beginning sometime this fall.

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpeg
    IMG_2978.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2977.jpeg
    IMG_2977.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2976.jpeg
    IMG_2976.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hoping it pulls through for ya, but yeah doesn’t look good. What kind of mix was it in before? Looks like it either stayed too wet or dried out a few too many times. I live in Ft Worth and grow mine in pond baskets planted in either APL or Bonsai Jack inorganic mix. Full sun (8+ hours).

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heavy fertiliser will not help this tree potentially make it worse, making sure it doesn’t stay to wet in a large pot for the needle volume is the only thing you can control to make it survive.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure how you wired this. But that can also have affected roots and sapflow.

No fertilizer, and certainly no repotting for a tree in this stage, unless you are sure it is a substrate issue (And not a care issue)

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is no hope for this one. Sorry. I had 4 that were in much better shape than this one didn't make it.

EnTfy

Seed
Reaction score
It was gift to me in late may and had been in regular potting soil. I know I should have moved it to bonsai soil (Its a 1:1:1:1 mix of Lava, Calcinated Clay, Pumice, and Orchid Bark) earlier. Truthfully the potting soil probably helped the most during the summer if I had just moved it, but I'm also not sure if it might be something else. One of my maples is struggling as well this spring.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given that last summer Dallas was an annex of hell with the third or fourth hottest summer on record with a fifty day plus string of over 100 and the fourth driest, I'd say this was probably killed last summer, or severely weakened and the damage is showing up now as the tree tries todraw on non-existent reserves/roots. Same for the struggling maples.

Reaction score
In El Paso and mine are struggling as well. Super hot and dry summer, super cold and dry winter.

Recently repotted into pond baskets with inorganic mix and organic 444 in cages. Recommend don't heavily fertilize If they are struggling. Don't water them back to life either.

Looks like you got new needles pushing out so just let it be, normal care, and hope it pulls through.

Top Bottom