JM Identification request

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Well, I changed my mind again. Sorry Dav!
Now it really seems to me to be A. Palmatum "Orange Dream". The nursery often has this variety but this particular one was not labeled and leafless when I bought it.
I'll post a picture of its current state ASAP.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I changed my mind again. Sorry Dav!
Now it really seems to me to be A. Palmatum "Orange Dream". The nursery often has this variety but this particular one was not labeled and leafless when I bought it.
I'll post a picture of its current state ASAP.

It looks like a regular green Japanese maple to me. Definitely not Orange Dream. Here's a picture of my Orange Dream from last weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 27

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also have 3 green maples. They all look different. Yours looks like a cross between my 1st and 2nd.

Attachments

• IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 26

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably Orange Dream. They'll stay that pale yellow for quite some time. Pretty sensitive to too much sun as well.

"Standard" JMs come in with more red with slight yellow in the middle and will turn green fairly quick.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's strange that it turned pale green, but didn't show bright orange tones first. All of mine that are pale green in the summer are bright yellow and orange when they first unfurl.

I just got Summer Gold in the mail today from Conifer Kingdom (that's why it looks like it got thrown around..). It's also pale green like yours. The same color Orange Dream will turn into early summer. I read it's introduced by the same nursery as Orange Dream. It's supposed to not burn in full sun. Although, my Orange Dream didn't burn last year when I moved it to full sun.

In the picture from left to right, Orange dream, green, and Summer Gold.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 21

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
That's strange that it turned pale green, but didn't show bright orange tones first
If you look at the first picture of this thread, you'll see the orange tones I got when it opened up. Then it turned "deep" yellow especially on top, which eventually faded to a lighter shade.
Now it's light green especially where it gets less sun. The top is still pretty yellowish.
Pretty sure it's Orange Dream.
A couple of freezing nights burned a lot of exposed leaves (on the side not facing the house wall). I'll see how it goes this summer with the hotter sun.

Top Bottom