John Naka's Bonsai Techniques 1. FREE

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You keep confusing two very different concepts - being legally permitted to do something versus getting away with it. Posting links to enable infringement is not legal. You can get away with it, but that doesn't make it legal.
I am not "confused"- I just enjoy effing with ya'll... I know it makes you feel smart to think I don't know what I am talking about so go ahead and tell yourself- and everyone else here- whatever you need to say to make you feel like you know more than me. Open mic- go for it.

Look, obviously the JOKE of a legal system we have in this country means a lot to some of you, but in the end "legal" on the Internet is such a grey area. If I go into a movie theater with a camcorder, record a new release then go post it on a website... Is that illegal? Sure! If I am surfing the web and stumble upon said video, is THAT illegal? Welllll... Kinda, but only if I share links of it right? Or how about if I download it and watch it on my laptop at a later date? What if I just use the video to "preview" the movie, having no idea if the video is the actual film or some farce production made as a joke...? What if I screenshot an image of the film and "snapchat" it ( is that a verb?)/ or post it on my Facebook page? Lots of room for grey areas there and the laws are not changing fast enough to keep up with the technology.

So, what have we learned here? The book is under copyright still today- says you, thanks for clarification. So, the guy who posted it IS in violation of a law, in the US, but he doesn't live in the US, soooo... Whole other can of worms, let's just ignore that too...

I posted a link to the book which some of you think in and of itself is a violation of a law? Correct? I call BS/ or rather I call "I don't give a F---" because that is not- as you just admitted- something anybody would or could ever successfully prosecute me for.... Kind of like if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it... Or if a CB interferes with a WR in Football but the ref doesn't throw the flag was it still a penalty? "No, he didn't get a flag"- ohh, but it is A RULE that you cannot do that..

The issue here- for me is not about whether I broke the law. I don't give a SHIT about breaking stupid laws that they "let people get away with"- I truly don't. I used to drink under age and party my ass off in all sorts of ways that violated some sort of laws I am sure... I used to drink, smoke, hook up with all sorts of randoms- all that stuff that some rule in some book somewhere says you shouldn't do but everyone does growing up (my good god I HOPE YOU DID make similar "mistakes" as a kid... We all deserve a "wild" phase in our life) And I could go on about the victimless crimes I may have committed as a misguided youth- but the issue for me is that this MEANINGLESS, obscure "maybe it is maybe it is not" violation has turned this thread into an absolute CLUSTER when the focus was supposed to be Naka's book, what a great resource it is, how everybody who does Bonsai should read it... and look! Here is your chance to PREVIEW IT FOR FREE...

Why do we DO THAT? It seems the only threads on this site that go over a couple pages, or even a couple POSTS are the ones where people can stir up a witch hunt: "I am right damnit and you did/ said something WRONG, and by God I will change your mind and prove to everyone how right I am- you don't PINCH Junipers, ___ wire is or is NOT poisonous to your tree... You can't share that pic without crediting the person who took it or getting permission..." I am trying to think of some of the times we all went ham on poor Sawgrass in some of his threads... I am sure you get my point- We SAY this is a Bonsai forum. Which would imply we all come here to talk about, view and share pics of our trees... But it seems the vast majority of people only want to really get into a lengthy discussion or post meaningful statements backed by research when they can argue and belittle each other- most of the time over stuff that has nothing to do with the actual subject of the thread? WTF is wrong with us? It makes me sick! So, go ahead, tell me I am a criminal for sharing a link to a 35 year old book written by an author who is DEAD! Call the GD FBI, CIA AND THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES FOR ALL I CARE. I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU TO DO IT. Or maybe we can all STFU about some stupid copyright laws that will never have any bearing on this situation and TALK ABOUT BONSAI!?!?!??

That's never gonna happen though is it?

So, in the interests of asking that we all just LET IT GO, please tell me what to do. Should I post a crying emoji and beg forgiveness for all my nasty sins for posting that link? :oops: (Emojis suck on this site.. Damnit where is a good crying one!?) Ya'll want me to go turn myself in to the local authorities? or write a letter to the John Naka estate and beg them to sue me for lost revenue on a book that is out of print and not earning them any revenue any longer anyway? Whatever it is that I need to do to atone for this horrible, bad, nasty and very very naughty sin, can we just consider it done and MOVE THE F ON, please? Over a year of crying about spilled milk is a bit excessive. Sorry to all those who didn't get to check out the book before one of these old farts got it removed! I am glad some of you got to preview it for the first time, I hope you go get a copy.

Thanks/ peace said- Over it.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Actually, it would suffice if you would just STFU about how perfectly legal and okay you think it is to help people illegally rip John Naka's work for free, especially now that you've acknowledged that you're just being a troll about it. And if you keep saying stupid stuff about it, don't be so butthurt when people retort.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Actually, it would suffice if you would just STFU about how perfectly legal and okay you think it is to help people illegally rip John Naka's work for free, especially now that you've acknowledged that you're just being a troll about it. And if you keep saying stupid stuff about it, don't be so butthurt when people retort.
Classy... Reallll classy.

"Butthurt"? Didn't realize we were going back to second grade, but you seem to AGAIN be the one who is upset... and there you go twisting what I said to try to PORVE you were the one who we as right, and I was wrong: basically making my point for me.

Bravo sir! You win at the Internet!
-confetti emoji-

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So where you come from, it's the second graders who call people butthurt and it's the adults who issue all the double dog dares?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I liked the link Eric. Used it a couple times. I should have screenshot every page but didnt.
Thank you for posting it Eric,otherwise I would have never been able to find the text or be able to afford to buy it. If I ever get around one of those books I'm taking pictures of every page for my use.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
This thread is F****** stupid! And this discussion. If anyone does not want to download or check this stuff out don't. Don't moralize people who use the link. I used the link, so thanks Eric.
I doubt someone who owns copyrights to this book is going mental right now because some people checked the book for free. $$$$$$$$$
If I would write a book now, and when I was 80 years old it would be on the internet, and people would download it in bulks and be happy about it, I would be proud. I would not care about the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Fu** that, my knowledge is still out there, still alive, my work is remembered, this is my ticket to immortality.

Soon people will copyright their own posts on forums, and I will have to pay to see it or use it as a quote. Or you will be able to see just half of the post, pay if you want to get the whole answer to your question.

I know I'm exaggerating but I just couldn't take anymore nonsense about this being illegal and blah blah blah.

PS It has little (maybe) to do with this, but it was proven in a research that pirates who download games and music and such buy more of the original products and content then "normal" users. Proven.

Last edited:

rokr

Sapling
Reaction score
I know this is being brought back from the grave but does anyone have the PDF? The link is dead and I had Asked wife for the copy for Christmas but she could not locate me a copy (or selling for a reasonable price)

Cheers

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read the entire thing from that link on my ipad a couple of nights before you posted the link. Thought about posting it here, but forgot about it. I'm not surprised at the reactions. I think the bonsai community is pretty conservative.

Many of us simply Honor Master Naka and all he did for American Bonsai and us as hobbyists. Deliberately overpricing his books seems disrespectful and moreso placing on internet in any less than prime condition and if not yet public domain property;).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ever wated a copy of this book just to read but can't afford the $200 price tag to get a copy these days?

http://www.slideshare.net/xiamujahid/bonsai-technique-vol1-by-john-yoshio-naka

Not sure how the copyright stuff works on this site, but I didn't post it... Sure as Heck read the thing today though! I used to have a copy so it was all review but what a great read anyway! Nice to have a copy online for reference... Wish I could find volume 2 on this site also!

Uploaded SlideShare Suspended
This SlideShare was suspended because it violated SlideShare Terms of Service and/or Community Guidelines.

Iliana

Seed
Reaction score
Does anyone sell the book Bonsai techiques 1&2 in english?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai clubs often have local auctions. Books are one of the things that show up, frequently. There are always elderly folks who “reduce their collections” as they get older, and are willing to pass along things to the younger generation.

Naka’s books are collectible, because the name was a legend. The information is mostly obsolete, but it is interesting to see “how they used to do things”.

I have one he personally signed for me. Do I ever refer to it? No. Never. There is far better info available now.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Papkey5, if I come across it, I'll probably make it available. I haven't spent any time trying to figure out where it is. I **think** I know where it is, but I haven't had time too go looking. From a bonsai information standpoint, a LOT has left "Techniques" behind.

Top Bottom