John Naka's Bonsai Techniques 1. FREE

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Eric, it's total bullshit to call Barrett Brown a terrorist. He is, at worst, a hacker. Moreover, I didn't compare you and him. You make it sound like I called you a terrorist. I simply noted that he got convicted of a crime [not terrorism] for something you claimed to be perfectly legal. And Grokster's holding does not mean what you think it means.

Your quote, by the way, was conveniently cut short. In case anyone is considering taking your bad IP advice, here's the rest of that quote:

"On the other hand, it is not necessarily safe to simply claim that you "didn't know" when the circumstances make it clear the material you link to is infringing. Use your common sense. Fred vonLohman gives the following rules of thumb to help avoid contributory copyright infringement (specifically with reference to embedding videos): (1) don't embed videos that are obviously infringing, and (2) consider removing embedded videos once you've been notified by a copyright owner that they are infringing."

And yeah, that is funny about the library.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
81GNdMj.gif

why did they even revive this thread?

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It was a new member. Probably came to the thread because this thread is the #2 hit on Google if you look for the book.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Eric, it's total bullshit to call Barrett Brown a terrorist. He is, at worst, a hacker. Moreover, I didn't compare you and him. You make it sound like I called you a terrorist. I simply noted that he got convicted of a crime [not terrorism] for something you claimed to be perfectly legal. And Grokster's holding does not mean what you think it means.

Your quote, by the way, was conveniently cut short. In case anyone is considering taking your bad IP advice, here's the rest of that quote:

"On the other hand, it is not necessarily safe to simply claim that you "didn't know" when the circumstances make it clear the material you link to is infringing. Use your common sense. Fred vonLohman gives the following rules of thumb to help avoid contributory copyright infringement (specifically with reference to embedding videos): (1) don't embed videos that are obviously infringing, and (2) consider removing embedded videos once you've been notified by a copyright owner that they are infringing."

And yeah, that is funny about the library.
Well you said I went too long with my posts, so... ;)

This is also primarily about videos... So,... I wasn't 100% sure it applied here but it was close enough and pretty much all I could find that seemed relatable.

I was calling him a terrorist because that is how the US government wants people to view him apparently- I got that word associated with him from a Bio that the FBI I think wrote up... aren't hackers just Cyber terrorists anyway?

Anyways... Like you said earlier- someone has removed the link from that site now anyway. Damn shame if you ask me! It is a resource ALL Bonsai folks should read and read again, forget, then read again! Great info, and not so easy to find. It would be cool if it was still in print and you could download versions electronically.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It is a resource ALL Bonsai folks should read and read again, forget, then read again! Great info, and not so easy to find. It would be cool if it was still in print and you could download versions electronically.

That much I agree with.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have got to be joking... YOU COMPARED ME TO A FN TERRORIST EARLIER IN THIS THREAD, but I am the one going too far?

I didn't infringe on anything. That is my point. I did not post the book where it is/ was posted, I just found it and posted a link here in which case: "Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd, 545 U.S. 913, (2005). As long as you do not know that a work infringes someone's copyright, then you cannot be held liable for contributory infringement for directing users to that work."

The funniest part about all this to me is the first copy I got of this book years ago was given to me as purchased from a book sale at a Library. This Library copy was a PHOTOCOPY of the book bound together in a plastic report binder... THAT was copyright infringement! LOL

Um, I think you've misinterpreted MGM v Grokster...
http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/the-lessons-of-mgm-v-grokster

I may be wrong, but it is aimed at enabling technologies not at copyright protected content...That would mean that THIS SITE as an enabling technology might get protection from unauthorized use, but not you, the person who posted protected material.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Um, I think you've misinterpreted MGM v Grokster...
http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/the-lessons-of-mgm-v-grokster

I may be wrong, but it is aimed at enabling technologies not at copyright protected content...That would mean that THIS SITE as an enabling technology might get protection from unauthorized use, but not you, the person who posted protected material.
Perhaps, but I kind of interpreted it like that- IOW, I think I mentioned earlier on that all that could happen would be BNUT would be instructed to take it down... And an individual like myself... Well.. There is no liability at all on my end. Never was much of a concern for me, I was only trying to show the only case I could find even remotely concerning this type of situation... Another difference is that I believe the case in question was regarding movies being pirated and posted online, probably NEW movies, not 30+ year old books that have been out of print for decades... Which would be far far less of a concern to anyone looking into this type of activity...

Regardless... The link where it was posted has been removed, so thanks to whomever reported it to whomever removed it! Now, dozens (hundreds?) of people who could really use that info won't be able to get it without paying for a book that is priced like a collectors item most places, through secondary vendors that will not be giving a DIME of the proceeds back to John Naka's estate! Great job- way to make sure the rip off artists out there keep making bank off of it!

All is right with the world and greed wins out over freedom of information!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Re-read the decision. IT IS YOU WHO ARE LIABLE, NOT the site.

And you have no right to free stuff just because it's on the Internet and it's easier to take digitally.

Would all be "right" with the world if we served YOUR Greed for free stuff?

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

You are not wrong. In fact, quite a few people who used Grokster, and claimed innocent intent, got popped for it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eric: information is not free. The rights of the author, if he has taken the proper steps to protect it prevail.

I own a painting. An original oil painting. A famous artist, you can buy prints of his art many places.

However, I cannot get rich selling prints of my painting! Yes, I own the actual painting, but the artist reserved for himself and his estate the copyright to any images of the painting!

Which means I cannot sell prints of it. Now, I guess I could contact his estate and work a deal... Maybe an up front fee, or a royalty, but unless I do, I am prohibited from selling images of the original.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is it the Naka family that controls the copyright? Someone should seek permission to produce a good quality, searchable pdf that could be sold through Amazon or Print-On-Demand service (with royalties being paid out of course).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a bad idea. I don't know how John Naka would feel about having his work taken online. The original book is a compilation of mimeographed handouts he gave his students during his classes back in the 70's. However, the Internet is a vastly different place and a different dynamic. It's far from the face-to-face personalized instructions given to a handful of people in his garage.

He did the work and supported his family. He was not a rich man. Simply saying his wife and family are due nothing from their husband's/father's life work is a bit much.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I don't know how John Naka would feel about having his work taken online. The original book is a compilation of mimeographed handouts he gave his students during his classes back in the 70's. However, the Internet is a vastly different place and a different dynamic. It's far from the face-to-face personalized instructions given to a handful of people in his garage.

He did the work and supported his family. He was not a rich man. Simply saying his wife and family are due nothing from their husband's/father's life work is a bit much.
Who said THAT?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Re-read the decision. IT IS YOU WHO ARE LIABLE, NOT the site.

And you have no right to free stuff just because it's on the Internet and it's easier to take digitally.

Would all be "right" with the world if we served YOUR Greed for free stuff?
No, I am not liable for anything in this scenerio. Sorry. I think I clearly identified who got the site to pull it though! Touchy touchy... SMDH

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I used to be an attorney but not IP, but seems like the rule here is pretty clear.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I used to be an attorney but not IP, but seems like the rule here is pretty clear.
What rule?
Did... Did someone post about rules or laws somewhere in this thread? I thought this was a thread about a Bonsai Book! You talking about the Bonsai "Rules"?

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No, I am not liable for anything in this scenerio. Sorry. I think I clearly identified who got the site to pull it though! Touchy touchy... SMDH

You keep confusing two very different concepts - being legally permitted to do something versus getting away with it. Posting links to enable infringement is not legal. You can get away with it, but that doesn't make it legal.

Top Bottom