July 17 - August 5 “BEST IN THE NORTHWEST, OREGON” – Bonsai by Members of the PNBCA

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Awesome trees. Thanks for sharing. I like that Kingsville. How tall would you say that one is?

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Hi mat,

my quess would be from soil/trunk to tip of crown 16-18 inches. I'm used to seeing 10-12 with that variety so was also impressed. :)

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dick,
It looks like the two trees of Dennis Vojtilla - Nothofagus and Crataegus- have their tags mixed up. The first one - labelled Nothofagus- looks like a Crataegus, and the second one - labelled Crataegus- has leaves that clearly look like Nothofagus antarctica. Also, the broom style that the second label refers to, is more befitting to the first tree, while the clip-and-grow method's result can be seen on the second one.
I noticed it because I happen to be very fond of the species Nothofagus antarctica, even though here in SoCal it doesn't grow well (I still have a small one in my backyard, that is hanging on for dear life).
I hope you don't mind me mentioning this...

Last edited:

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
A tip of the hat to you sir! :) I slipped in actually while they were putting in last touches before opening and they did have the wrong trees marked. It was caught and changed but I had no knowledge of the change after I had documented all the trees. Again, good eye....and i'm glad they caught it before opening to the public.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No problem.
I love to see when the name of the tree is accompanied by a short story and some more info on the tree. It makes the experience so much more enjoyable when we get to know the tree more intimately, while also realizing how much work was put into it. I wish that all exhibits had the same approach. I am sure that the owner of each tree would be glad to provide a little background for his/her tree.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the pictures. I love learning the history behind each tree.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I'll have to make sure the person who does all the work to make the signs knows of your appreciation. It's a thankless job taking a few notes from a 3X5 index card and then following it up with more details in a conversation to develop an interest in the bonsai. All of it is rewritten with skill. But you know what? YOUR right! It does make a difference. BTW most of the trees have been selected for the next display from washington state. ( none of mine got selected). last saturday I helped to get the new display in the covered area set up. It's a woodcarver's club and some of the handcrafted/painted birds are fantastic. Good thing they had NFS on them or I'd have been sorry tempted with a nuthatch mounted to an interesting piece of drift wood. There was a little blue bird for sale, so I might volunteer at take down if it hadn't sold and make an offer. :) ssssH don't tell anyone my strategy :)

Top Bottom