Juni #7

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was a workshop tree that I aquired over the weekend at my annual club workshop. I got first pick, and selected this tree because most of my junipers are cascade or semi-cascade. This appeared to be a good candidate for a more informal upright style. If you visit the club website at http://mvbonsai.com/ you can see many more pictures of the days events. There should be a few shots of work in progress that should give a decent idea of the progress that was made. BTW, we were working with San Jose junipers from Jim Doyle at Nature's Way Nursery in harrisburg, PA.

Dave

Attachments

• 100_0526.jpg
    100_0526.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_0527.jpg
    100_0527.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_0528.jpg
    100_0528.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 114

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I removed the wire from the initial styling. It has grown really well over the past year. This is what your junipers should look like before work is done. Now it is time do prune back some of these branches.

Dave

Attachments

• juni6.jpg
    juni6.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 62

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I pruned back most of the branches. In the fall I will restyle, and repot next spring.

Attachments

• rps20120618_172726.jpg
    rps20120618_172726.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 68

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice taper on that juni, and I like the angle. Super healthy and full, nice.

yamins

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave, thanks so much for posting this. Can you talk a little bit about your "cycle" for working with junipers? What made you decide to prune now, but style in the fall? Is that splitting up of the work done for the health of the tree? Because it's better to wiring just before it goes dormant? To wait until the pruning job causes you to get more growth along the lines you want for wiring? None of the above?

Thanks!

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, thanks so much for posting this. Can you talk a little bit about your "cycle" for working with junipers? What made you decide to prune now, but style in the fall? Is that splitting up of the work done for the health of the tree? Because it's better to wiring just before it goes dormant? To wait until the pruning job causes you to get more growth along the lines you want for wiring? None of the above?

Thanks!

You kind of answered all your own questions. I pruned it because I had it on the work bench to remove the initial wiring. The tree could have been rewired right then, but as you said, I want more growth to maximize the effort. Midsummer wiring isn't exactly ideal though, but a healthy plant should be fine with it.

Dave

Top Bottom