juniper tanuki deadwood

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
Dears
Am planing juniper tanuki.
I got the thick dead branch and I want to prepare to apply preservative on it to prevent fungus.

No way for me to get lime sulfur.

What other chemical preservative can be used?

Will copper sulfate work?
I have access also to micronized sulfur liquid and powder.

Please help me

Thanks in advance

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can google how to make lime sulfer up on the internet. I bet its a very smelly process.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dears
Am planing juniper tanuki.
I got the thick dead branch and I want to prepare to apply preservative on it to prevent fungus.

No way for me to get lime sulfur.

What other chemical preservative can be used?

Will copper sulfate work?
I have access also to micronized sulfur liquid and powder.

Please help me

Thanks in advance

Can you get some wood hardener?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dont think so

What type of fungicide can use other than lime sulfur??
It's not the fungicidal qualities that make LS work, it's the fact that in high concentrations, LS turns the surface white. If you can order through Amazon in Lebanon, these two products are what many use as a wood preserver:
http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Co...8&qid=1401062624&sr=8-5&keywords=pc+petrifier
http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-41700-...8&qid=1401062624&sr=8-2&keywords=pc+petrifier

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Just go to a hardware store...I am in Africa and I know we have much less here than you.
Just look at wood preservatives and you will find plenty.

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
this means you guys have no constraints on what type of wood preservative i might use could cause any poisoning to the soil and the tree trunk!!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
It is a dead wood! And it dries fast...so nothing will go into the soil, unless you poor it there.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Your best bet is to find a suitable piece of a rot-resistant wood to use for the deadwood. I've used what we in the southern USA call pine lighterwood with great, long-lasting success.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
OR make your own wood hardener using acetone and flexi-glass.

READ all MSDS and warnings about working with acetone!!! Work only outside with full ventilation. IT is very flammable as well.

Get a big mouth glass container with air tight lid (that won't melt w/ acetone).
Place broken flexi-glass pieces inside. I am approximating but a 1/4" x 6" x 6" piece should be enough to make a half gallon solution.
Pour acetone and cover. Flexi-glass melting will be apparent in a couple of hours. You can leave it for a couple of days or to speed up, shake it every now and then. You may add more acetone if the final solution is very thick...or add more flexi-glass if not thick enough.

Apply to your wood with brush. Note that it will leave a white film after it dries (similar to all other wood hardener) but will eventually go away in time. The thicker you apply it, the better the protection BUT the longer it will look "ugly". If you want to hasten it looking nice...use a metal bristle brush going along the grain of the wood to remove excess dried flexi-glass.

I used to do this to soak rotten wood I want/need to work on. Work really well.

Good luck!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Oyakata makes it from pine gum and spirit...and here we make it with thinners and polystyrene ( the packing for electrical appliances)

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
I bought water repellent anti fungal clear solution for exterior wood.
Water based. Hope it will work.
And for the lower part (under soil) I will use the thinner with polystyrene as advised.

Thanks and wish me luck

I will post pictures once I finish

Top Bottom