Juniperus procumbens 'nana': pre-noob question on wintering

Reaction score
Hello and happy new year!
I am sure this question has been asked before. I just received a pre-made bonsai as a gift and wanted input on how I should care for it in the dead of a Minnesota winter. It is the common Juniperus procumbens 'nana'. As a teen, I had a shimpaku that I cared for several years in the more forgiving state of Virginia. It met it's untimely and unfortunate end when a neighbor's pit bull watered it for me. I am hoping for a better outcome for this little plant. After a little preliminary research, I am thinking that my options are: planting it in the already-frozen ground, putting it in a west-facing (non-insulated) garage window, or putting it in a west-facing (non-insulated) attic window. I am grateful for any advice.
Thank you and be well,
ET

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not knowing what climate it came from I would say get through this winter with good protection. Like a garage.
No window. You don't want it's temperature to go up and down by heat from sunlight.
Next year you will be able to keep it outside all year long.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Garage, window does not matter but water well once a month...

One side of my garage for Bonsai storage, the other side is also storing Bonsai, my average temperature is between 30F and 40 F...I could probably leave the Juniper's outside but we can have some Zero or below temps and I don't the roots to freeze and die...Last year I lost 1 out of 30 or so in garage storage.

Garage Bonsai 010.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine are outside here. It gets well below zero. Like 30 degrees below or better. I've yet to lose a juniper to cold or freezing. That includes procumbens,shimpaku,parsons and San Jose. They go for weeks at sub zero temps no problem.
And I have no need to worry about water. Being frozen solid means they don't need water nor sunlight. They're actually buried under snow on the north side of a shed.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Mike do you have them in some kind of pit or "in ground" storage or just in pots sitting on the ground ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ET...

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
Usually it would be fine outside, but IMO that's is with a transition in fall. I would think moving it outside now would be too great change for it. I would say garage to get it through this winter. Most attics can vary in temperature a lot which can be vary hard on the trees. It won't need as much water as it does in other seasons and essentially no light over winter.

Top Bottom