Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bloomstart9.jpg

may240913.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree Duane.

I can see a lot of nice movement in the trunk. Personally, if it were my tree I would get a closer photo of the trunk and nebari. Its kind of hard to see what's going on there, but I like what I see so far.

I love this species, and I am very happy to see yours on this forum.

Thanks for sharing.;)

Rob A.

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I like is the fruit on your ficus. I don't usually see that on bonsai.

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I like is the fruit on your ficus. I don't usually see that on bonsai.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here you go Rob

Thanks redvw5

Rob, heres a different shot of the tree.

may27-0913.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Duane,
Do you ever defoliate this guy? I think that should be your next step. It will help to reduce the leaves if you rootprune simultaneously, and it will also serve to tighten up the canopy.

Thanks for sharing!

PS Great scenery out there! Are you in an elevated rainforest? If so, does tit affect your lighting for your ficus (shaded, cloud cover, etc)?

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
old pic

Thanks Rob, here is a pic of how the tree looked before. I was told on another forum to open the tree up more (birds fly thru) when I posted this pic.

llficus9.jpg

I have been offered a hundred dollars for this tree as is & will probably let it go. If I do keep it, I will defoiliate in the summer, if I sell it, I will suggest it to the new owner.

PS, yes I live on a mountain, but its on the sunny side of the island, keeping up with my watering in the summer is a trip!:)

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do yourself a favor and rethink that selling price. That tree is easily worth 3 times what you have been offered. Don't give it away, man.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do yourself a favor and rethink that selling price. That tree is easily worth 3 times what you have been offered. Don't give it away, man.

I don't know anything about ficus, but Mojosan sounds completely right.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do know something about Ficus and I too agree! It is worth at least $350

Try using this as a reference:

http://www.jimsmithbonsai.com

go to his catalog page and you will see what I mean. Now, his trees are high end, but this could give you something to reference for pricing.

Good luck;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd agree

The ramification development, mature trunk and other not-so-easy to make details make this tree worth substantially more than $100. Whoever offered you that is trying to get a "deal."

One hundred bucks for a ficus nerifolia usually only buys starter material that's half as big and requires years to grow out the top.

Don't sell your work short. It's worth money too.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Duane what is the size of that trunk?
Mine as well fruit up but the birds get to them long before I can...
Irene

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem is

Mojosan, shohin kid, Rob & rockm, thanks guys, sorry, I tried to reply from my cell but I got busy at work. I understand what you guys are saying, the problem I have with this tree is the base under the soil line for this guy is like a bowl shape. This tree doesnt have the rootball like my other trees have, its kind of hard to explain, but imagine under the soil line this tree sitting on a bowl or collander with very little roots. If I could cut straight across at the soil line & get some good feeder roots going, then i'd be able to get this tree into a shallower pot. I sort of lost interest in this tree after I disovered how far the base went under the soil line & then I basically left it on the side not working the tree at all. I will however reconsider selling this tree for now. Any suggestions? (i guess the best would be to let you all see a pic of the base under the soil)
I have 4 other ficus trees that im currently working with & will post them at a later date.
Rob, thanks for that link, Jim Smith has some incredible trees!
Irene, I would comfortably say that this is a 2 1/2 incher.

trunkmeasure1.jpg

Last edited:

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres a good way to imagine what im saying. Cut the trunk off right above the nebari & turn it upside down & thats what it looks like under the soil:)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Duane I chop most of mine off at ground level to get the feeder roots I want to grow...It is a ficus and will throw out new roots in under a few weeks time frame... And I also keep the stumps to get new trees going as well..
Irene

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Duane I chop most of mine off at ground level to get the feeder roots I want to grow...It is a ficus and will throw out new roots in under a few weeks time frame... And I also keep the stumps to get new trees going as well..
Irene

??...Irene....do you mean for him to just chop and make a large cutting out of it?

Duane,...that's not something I would recommend.This tree is too nice to risk such a drastic action. I'd try scarring the trunk/root/bulb just under the soil line and applying root hormones.

As someone who has sold plenty of nerifolias...the $100 offer is not too far off.Maybe $150 if you're lucky.

Nice tree by the way...but,I liked it better before the "birds flew through" and knocked all the foliage off.

Andy

Last edited:

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Irene & Andy. I decided to work this tree a little to see what comes about. If i'm not happy with it by years end, I will sell it at our clubs annual bonsai sale in December.

Top Bottom