TreeFrenKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Any tips on care now that I have it in a pot?
I used the soil it was growing in, for now.
What soil/when should I replace it?
What else should I do to it?
Thank you all in advance

Attachments

• 3738E79D-A000-4CED-957E-DC357CE5D4CF.jpeg
    3738E79D-A000-4CED-957E-DC357CE5D4CF.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 35BC2B0F-16FE-4EE2-B6B7-C36A2CB6AD49.jpeg
    35BC2B0F-16FE-4EE2-B6B7-C36A2CB6AD49.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 64

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You generally don't want to pot up twice, but I think you need to here given the container and substrate. If you can put in a larger pot with potting soil and perlite, Growing upwards like it was, and buried to trunk line it was at, with room under rim for watering, that would be best so the tree can recover.
Everyone might have different ideas on keeping the tap root or not given the time of year.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome aboard. Please fill out your profile with location and USDA zone before we all start chastising you about proper collection time ;) . It helps with location appropriate advice.

Maybe you just happen to be in the southern hemisphere.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Neither the soil or the pot size look great to be honest, also I would cut some of the foliar mass of the tree to cut down the evaporation, aftercare should be protect the tree from the sun and wind and keep it in a humid enviroment

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If op is in tropics, Arnold is spot on. But I will wait to see where op lives. Tropical plants behave differently, particularly in a tropical zone. You bare root a tropical in the north this time of the year and you better be prepared with a lot of heat, light and humidity imo.

TreeFrenKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Welcome aboard. Please fill out your profile with location and USDA zone before we all start chastising you about proper collection time ;) . It helps with location appropriate advice.

Maybe you just happen to be in the southern hemisphere.
San Diego, CA zone 8-9. Sorry friends!

TreeFrenKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You generally don't want to pot up twice, but I think you need to here given the container and substrate. If you can put in a larger pot with potting soil and perlite, Growing upwards like it was, and buried to trunk line it was at, with room under rim for watering, that would be best so the tree can recover.
Everyone might have different ideas on keeping the tap root or not given the time of year.
Thanks! What’s the deal about the taproot?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can be certain of vigorous growth, giving the plant all that it needs, sure cut the taproot back. You may even want to do it in stages.
Since days are getting sorter and temperatures are dropping, you need to convince the plant that the opposite is true. That is why I would have done this in the late winter / early spring. But it is done and there is no going back, so just keep it vigorously growing whether you address the tap root not or later.
I will say that it looks pretty pathetic planted all askew in a mountain of mud. Healthy enough I think, but not happy if that means anything.

Top Bottom