Josh Barg

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought this white pine a month or so ago from Vance Wood at our club show. Since then I've stared and turned and stared some more. I'm having a hard time trying to decide what direction I want to go with the tree. This is also my first pine, so I guess I may be just a bit scared to mess with it. I would appreciate any suggestions or input. Thanks. IMG_0154.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0158.JPG IMG_0161.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the bottom part in the first pic!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

808bonsaiSF

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
Yes, definitly the height of the cropped photo. Top is way too strong. Angles of the cropped photo will help.

Josh Barg

Seedling
Reaction score
Long game....

Somewhere in there!

I like to "see" the "proper height" for the trunk...
Like that cropped photo.
Then formulated a plan to make that part look like a tree.

Sorce

I've read jwp's don't like a lot of foliage removed. Would it be too harmful to the tree to remove the top portion all at once?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've read jwp's don't like a lot of foliage removed. Would it be too harmful to the tree to remove the top portion all at once?
That’s true! And they grow EXTREMELY slow. And are slow to build taper. It looks like Vance has already chopped it, in a good place where the new apex has a chance to blend in well. Chopping low would be too stark of an caliper change.

JWP are feminine, more graceful than the masculine JBP. So...

I would look to use the whole height, maybe put on a few more curves up ub the apex.

Here’s my JWP literati:

AEF97CCE-CCEC-4FF9-AE99-48C2E0673A2E.jpeg

With trees with tall skinny trunks, the branches should be relatively short, with foliage close to the trunk. Your tree is a little leggy with longish branches. If you decide to do something with yours to make it resemble the way mine is styled, you need to wire those lower branches out so they get sun in the interior to induce back budding. They’re slow to back bud, but they will. Shorten the branches if you can.

And just so you know, it takes about 25 years before JWP BEGINS to make tough bark. Mine is about 25 years old, and it’s just starting to make tough bark.

Josh Barg

Seedling
Reaction score
That’s true! And they grow EXTREMELY slow. And are slow to build taper. It looks like Vance has already chopped it, in a good place where the new apex has a chance to blend in well. Chopping low would be too stark of an caliper change.

JWP are feminine, more graceful than the masculine JBP. So...

I would look to use the whole height, maybe put on a few more curves up ub the apex.

Here’s my JWP literati:

View attachment 162776

With trees with tall skinny trunks, the branches should be relatively short, with foliage close to the trunk. Your tree is a little leggy with longish branches. If you decide to do something with yours to make it resemble the way mine is styled, you need to wire those lower branches out so they get sun in the interior to induce back budding. They’re slow to back bud, but they will. Shorten the branches if you can.

And just so you know, it takes about 25 years before JWP BEGINS to make tough bark. Mine is about 25 years old, and it’s just starting to make tough bark.

Thank you! I like the idea of a more feminine tree, and didn't think chopping it again was a great idea. I agree the branches need to be shorter, should I wire them to appear shorter or cut them back?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you! I like the idea of a more feminine tree, and didn't think chopping it again was a great idea. I agree the branches need to be shorter, should I wire them to appear shorter or cut them back?
Both

Top Bottom