Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m wondering if my Midwest abandoned barn scene would look cool in this pot with @HorseloverFat s awesome barn and weathered fences. I wasn’t super thrilled with version 1 in the wooden box.

I'm slightly anti ceramic in ceramic, but, I won't knock it till you try it. And, don't you knock it! Cuz it might break!😋

Sorce

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One of the pots that I glazed I brushed on the glaze and didn't brush it on thick enough. This particular glaze comes out a creamy yellow with toasty breaks when it is applied heavy...but it's ugly baby poop brown when only a light coat is put on. I got baby poop brown.
Question for the pot-heads: Is it possible to re-glaze and put a pot in for a second firing (well third firing if you count the bisque)? In this case, I'd just be applying the same glaze as before but thickening it up.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never done it but I know people who have. John Britt talked about it a bunch at his glaze workshop. I think the approach is "what else are you gonna do with a baby poop looking pot?" so why not?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Trying to dry this one nice and slow to avoid cracking. Also trying out some central mini feet to provide some stability but also allow the wires to function once a tree goes in there.FBC70FB5-186E-4043-B8FF-97A661229325.jpeg020C36E5-24FC-41D2-A9F5-7F35F64AF278.jpeg

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the new ideas in your last post. I'm not sure about the "central mini feet", I think you could get stability / span either by adding grog or making those feet temporary firing supports?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new ideas in your last post. I'm not sure about the "central mini feet", I think you could get stability / span either by adding grog or making those feet temporary firing supports?
Ooh, I like that idea about temporary firing supports. I’m sure adding grog is a great option, but for the moment I’ve just been using the sort of beginners clay that they have at the co-op. The rabbit hole goes deep!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What are the top two glazes? An ash/fake ash over a blue?
It's just a blue glaze called "Laurie's Turquoise" that's available at the pottery studio where I take classes. Fired in a gas reduction kiln. The odd thing about it is that it didn't break black and didn't have much speckling when I used it with a different clay body in the past. Must be something in the interaction between clay and glaze.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There isn't too much chemical interaction between clay and glaze. Maybe it's more about application or firing temperature? A hotter firing this time would produce more running of the glaze, and give more time for crystals to grow during the cooling phase of the firing

I'm working my way through the Ceramic Materials Workshop online lectures about glaze chemistry and the lecturer keeps harping on it how they're relatively separate things 😅 Apparently the biggest difference is a different color behind the glaze, which is relatively transparent

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There isn't too much chemical interaction between clay and glaze. Maybe it's more about application or firing temperature? A hotter firing this time would produce more running of the glaze, and give more time for crystals to grow during the cooling phase of the firing

I'm working my way through the Ceramic Materials Workshop online lectures about glaze chemistry and the lecturer keeps harping on it how they're relatively separate things 😅 Apparently the biggest difference is a different color behind the glaze, which is relatively transparent
Could be a new batch of glaze was mixed up slightly different. And/ Or different placement in the gas kiln?
I’m not sure.

Top Bottom