Keep stock or scion?

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was trimming a few old needles off a white pine and whilst doing so i noticed the twig infested burl where i assumed the graft had been,i thought the growth on these to be atypical but thought no more of it.

Today i was rubbing off the dried remains of these stubs and i began scrutinising the trunk to determine exactly how it had been grafted when i noticed the twig infested burly area had needles in two's.

For some reason it had escaped my attention until then.

What should i do?

Leave it as is and style these twigs into the deadwood of the future?

Lop off the white pine scion?

Graft on a third pine?

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would personally suggest removing the 2needle pine portion as it is what is giving you that terrible reverse taper. either jin the branches or remove them. That reverse taper won't be going away anytime soon with it growing in a pot but at least maybe you can mitigate the effects.

After that... a few years in the ground could help overcome it but I still doubt that will help too much. Accept the tree for what it is... and either try to work with it... or ignore it and get a better specimen... if you are really adventurous you can try layering it to have just the white pine but that may or may not be successful.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Terrible isn't it.

Not even any real Chimaerical growths.

I do wonder if the stock will exhibit any unusualness due to it's very large and alien rider.

I will keep it for awhile longer.

Top Bottom