Kintsugi for beginners

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As an old guy who is working on auto-pilot 60% of the time, I broke a leg off one of my favorite pots putting it away last fall. This begins my journey. The tree was in need of a repot so I bagged the root ball for the 1-1/2 days it took to complete.

Supplies
Pure "patent" gold leaf.....Got the gold on amazon. It’s “patent gold” which means it is slightly adhered to tissue paper and easy to pick up and place. JB weld is the only adhesive I’ve found that will hold well on ceramics.

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2135.jpg
    IMG_2135.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 173

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Since the cracked piece is a perfect fit, I want to remove a little material so the joint will have some width and show off the gold. I’ve used a Sharpie to go around the entire joint and mark how much I want to remove.IMG_2133.JPG

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This spar vearnish will be used as a size or glue to adhere the gold to the joint. They do make different sizings that stay tacky for longer periods of time but this won't take long.IMG_2159.JPG

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I don’t put anything over the gold. Coatings tend to dull it’s wonderful luster. I’ve done gold leaf signs that have outside for 25 years and the gold looks as good as when it was put on. It will scratch if you’re not careful.IMG_2164.jpg

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing that. That may be the first time I have seen that content on this forum. If I have missed someone else try it, my apologies, but thanks again. I hadn't seen this before.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That is super cool and looks like even I can pull that off, thank you for sharing.
Out of interest could you use silver leaf or some of the coloured leafs?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is super cool and looks like even I can pull that off, thank you for sharing.
Out of interest could you use silver leaf or some of the coloured leafs?
I think silver would oxidize during the process, it tends to respond quite fast to most glues and solvents. Which makes it turn black, and unprotected it will seep into the glaze turning it black as well.

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
jb weld is awesome. i sealed a steel brake line leak once with it and it held.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I've done similar repairs but used gold paint instead of gold leaf.

Top Bottom